Tuesday 30 July 2024

28/07/24 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 192lb 0oz
Catch - 154 Carp, 33 F1s, 1 Gudgeon
Weather - Warm and sunny
Match - Open (11 fished) - 1st overall

Today was going to be a warm one and we were all hoping for a few bites.

More than happy to draw p10 as its my favourite peg and usually a good area for F1s, however the match didn’t go as expected.

I started on Uzit GLM paste at 1+1, whilst priming a shallow caster line. After 25mins I had 16 fish and the F1s were already showing themselves shallow at 8m in the shade of a tree.

A switch to the shallow line resulted in a run of F1s which were a bigger stamp than the paste fish, switching between 2 conventional shallow rigs (4 & 8 inches), both of which were better than the overshotted rig. As the sun got higher the shallow line became worse with the F1s being replaced by small carp.

In the 3rd hour my top kit plus 2 sections detached as I threw the pole back. The F1 that was attached took the whole lot to the far bank, which meant I had to go in for a swim!

To rest the shallow swim, I switched to the left margin on paste, initially feeding fishery micros and then 4s boosted by Uzit GLM pellet soak. I had a run of decent stamp carp, before the little ones appeared and this became a pattern for the rest of the match.

I kept the shallow line going and when I returned, I would catch a couple of F1s, before the small carp reappeared. I also opened up the right margin feeding caster, where fishing 8in was better than 4in.

As the match progressed, I just rotated around the 3 swims, trying to stay in touch with the bigger stamp fish. With 90mins remaining, I was just wasting my time with the shallow line as the F1s became really difficult to catch, so I just concentrated on the 2 margin swims and the stamp of fish slightly improved towards the end.

Come the weigh in I thought I might have 200lb and knew I had beaten the anglers I could see, but Tony Gilbert and Mick O’Brien were on the other side of lake. Unfortunately, the stamp of fish was below average, so I didn’t make 200lb and fortunately I just beat Tony and Mick to claim the win.

1.   
192-  0 – Ken Rayner – p10
2.    187-  8 – Tony Gilbert – p21
3.    182-  8 – Mick O’Brien – p19
4.    172-  0 – Simon Duke – p4

1 comment:

Simon spike Duke said...

Well done Ken , and after a swim as well . No close-up