Tuesday 23 July 2024

18/07/24 - Harescombe - Match Lake

Weight - 31lb 13oz
Catch - 8 Carp, 8 F1s, 1 Skimmer, 1 Roach, 1 Perch
Weather - Hot & sunny. Breezy at times.
Match - Open (18 fished) - 5th overall, 2nd in section

With 18 anglers on the lake it was always going to be a tough day and it looked like the hot sunny weather had triggered the fish into spawning again.

P11 for me and a peg I came 3rd off earlier in the month, so I was not too disappointed with the draw.

Well, the day turned into a really frustrating day, which left me wondering whether focusing on meat was the right approach.

I started short as usual and after an hour only had a couple of F1s and a skimmer, however not a lot was being caught anywhere. I couldn’t get a bite fishing the bottom of the far shelf fishing expander, which to be honest was a surprise.

90mins into the match and I switched to the far bank which has been my banker in the last few matches. Today it was just plain frustrating. The breeze blowing down the lake made presentation difficult at times, but it was obvious the fish weren’t really feeding properly as I lost a few fish and those I did land were either very lightly hooked or hooked around the face.

I had the same issue trying to catch short on meat or down the margin and in total lost 10 fish which proved quite costly as I only needed another 2.5lb for 3rd. However, lost fish was a common complaint today.

Well done to Allan on p9 who caught mostly fishing short on meat, patiently waiting for a bite to win the lake.

1.    53-  5 – Allan Oram – p9
2.    38-15 – Phil Auger – p5
3.    34-  6 – Mark Woodridge – p8
4.    33-  3 – Lucas Hurcombe – p17
5.    31-13 – Ken Rayner – p11

No comments: