Tuesday 23 July 2024

21/07/24 - Ivy House - Willow Lake

Weight - 41lb 10oz (12lb 15oz - silvers)
Catch - 17 F1s, 12 Carp, 23 Skimmers, 10 Roach
Weather - Muggy start. Warm & sunny later
Match - Tackle Den (19 fished) - 9th overall, 1st in section.

19 of us today, with 14 on the Old Match Lake and 5 on the island of Willow.

I drew p23 on Willow, normally a flyer, however from the recent match results I’ve seen the weights haven’t been great since the introduction of the F1s over the winter. So, I was hoping to catch a couple of carp early and then late down my margins, and in between I was expecting to spend time catching F1s and skimmers.

An array of rigs were set up to cover my options. I started on the method cast to the far bank, with an 8mm orange wafter and soon caught a small F1. A change to a 6mm wafter produced another 2, plus a 2lb carp in the first 30mins.

Still hoping for an early carp, I switched to fishing U-zit GLM paste at 3+2 where I had been feeding 4s and caught a carp, but it was only a pound. As there didn’t appear to be any decent size carp in the area I got my head down, switching to my F1 paste rig catching F1s, small carp (1lb) and skimmers over the short line.

The line went a bit iffy after an hour and I tried fishing the tea bag and 8mm pellet towards the far bank, where I had been pinging 8s, but I only caught a couple more small carp. In fact, everywhere I tried it was F1s or small carp, including down the right-hand bank on 8mm pellet, where roach were a problem. I even tried slapping but couldn’t find any decent carp.

My second stint on the short paste line, produced another run of F1s and a couple of decent sized skimmers. I kept going hoping the better sized carp would turn up, but the roach did instead!

As I had my back to the rest of the anglers in my section, a quick enquiry revealed everyone was struggling and we were fishing for the section as a couple of anglers were catching on the Old Match Lake. I still felt I needed a big carp as it was quite tight between us, and a couple of carp would make a big difference.

With 2hrs remaining I started feeding my margins. Pellet/corn down the left and groundbait/micros/corn down the right. I never had a bite down the left and won’t mention it again. The right margin was frustrating. At one point there was obviously at least 1 carp in the swim as there were swirls and roach scattering, but all I caught were a couple of roach on double corn.

With 20mins remaining, 4 balls of groundbait went down the right margin. In the meantime, I saw Andy Black on p20 land a double from his margin and John Pearce also caught a carp. I really needed one myself.

The short paste line produced a couple more carp, but nothing bigger than 2lb. Back down the margin there was no signs of carp after my barrage, which was a worry, but I gave it a go anyway. The float just sat there and literally disappeared as the-all out was called and I was attached to a carp. At 5-6lb it wasn’t as big as I hoped, but at least it was a carp.

At the weigh-in my section had no chance of framing, but fortunately I at least won my section from John who weighed 34lb.

1.    114-  9 – Matt Gale – p10
2.      95-11 – Jason Crump – p1
3.      87-  7 – Michael Wilson – p13
4.      56-13 – Steve Venn – p8
5.      55-  4 – Pete Philips – p16
6.      53-10 – Cliff Dutton – p2

No comments: