Wednesday 1 February 2023

28/01/23 - Greenridge Farm - Blue Canal

Weight - 27lb 12oz
Catch - 9 Carp, 2 Skimmers, 1 Roach
Weather - Cold start, cloudy with sunny period.
Match - Open (5 fished) - 3rd overall

No fishing for me last week due to frozen lakes. I had considered going to Shearwater and was glad I didn’t as even that was iced over.

This week I fancied a change of scenery and Mark suggested I join him at Greenridge Farm near Romsey, a venue I fished once before about 12 years ago. Normally there would be 10-12 anglers over the 2 canals. Well, there were 5 of us and we would be on the left hand (blue) canal.

The draw put on p1 at the top of the lake and at least I didn’t have to worry about the ice that was still evident at the bottom end. I was told I was on a good peg and with a tree in the water I fancied it for a few.

After dobbin bread along the end bank, around the tree and the far bank without any indications I was a little worried, particularly as the angler on p3 had already started catching.

I managed my first fish a skimmer on maggot, quickly followed by a carp toss potting maggot. Over the next couple of hours, I caught a few more dobbin bread by a small reed bed slightly to my left and this was the only place I could catch, except for 1 carp that I mugged!

The last 2 hours however were awful with only 1 carp, 30 minutes from the end, again from the small reedbed. I tried various areas of the peg without success and to be honest I didn’t enjoy myself. It was evident there wasn’t many fish at this end of the lake, whilst the angler on p3, kept catching on bread to easily win with 103lb.

Oh, the joys of aquatic bingo. I don’t think I will be rushing back.


No comments: