Monday 16 January 2023

15/01/23 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 32lb 8oz (8lb - silvers)
Catch - 4 Carp, 11 Skimmers, 2 Roach
Weather - Wet start, sunny later, but breezy
Match - Christmas (42 fished) - 3rd overall

Today was another rescheduled Christmas match and we were spread over the whole complex so plenty of room for most. At least the wind had dropped, and it was forecast to be dryer than yesterday, although there was more rain in the morning.

At the draw it was good to see Andy in the café, who was looking well after his hospital emergency last week and a relief for Karen, I’m sure.

Peg 12 on the Old Match Lake was ok and with only 7 on the lake I had plenty of space, with Andy Lord on p10 to my left and Steve Waters on p18 to my right.

On the all in, as the wind had dropped I went straight out to 16m tapping in a few micros fishing a 4mm expander, however this only lasted less than 5mins as the wind picked up again making presentation awkward.

Therefore, I switched to the straight lead and corn cast between the island, expecting to leave it for up to 30min. 5mins I couldn’t quite believe it when the tip went round and a 6lber was safely netted.

No further fish followed on either corn or bread, so switched to fishing at 13m fishing double pinkie over groundbait (black lake : black intelligent) with pinkie and a few micros. I had no skimmers, but hooked another carp, which I took my time with on 0.09 bottom and 5 elastic. I re-fed another ball of feed and whilst that settled I cast a mini method loaded with groundbait and micros, fishing double dead reds, along the island to my right and was rewarded with 2 more carp in 2 casts.

So 2hrs in and 24lb in the net was a great start and I could see very little being caught elsewhere, although I couldn’t see the anglers on the opposite bank.

The next hour was uneventful as I tried for another. Therefore, decided to see if I could add some skimmers to boost my weight. Switching back to the 13m line I had 5 skimmers in 15mins before they disappeared.

Moving into the last hour I had already primed a new swim a metre off the p13 pallet, feeding micros and started pinging 4s at 16m to my left. Fishing an expander down my margin didn’t produce, but I had skimmers and a couple of decent roach on maggot. I tried big potting maggot and micros hoping for another carp, but this just produced another skimmer.

Over the 16m line I had hoped the wind would drop long enough to allow me to fish the pole, but it was easier to fish the straight lead where I caught a 1.5lb skimmer, but no carp.

I picked up the section as 1st and 2nd came from the other side of the lake and hopefully starting to find some form at the venue which has sadly eluded me recently.

Back at the café, Karen laid on some lovely food which was very welcome.

1.    45-  8 – Dan Squires – p3 (old match lake)
2.    33-  0 – Joff Rogers – p7 (old match lake)
3.    32-  8 – Ken Rayner – p12 (old match lake)
4.    32-  7 – Dan Driscoll – p8 (heron)
5.    28-12 – Nick Milsom – p9 (heron)
6.    21-  2 – Mark Hammond – p35 (moorhen)

No comments: