Monday 2 January 2023

01/01/23 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 12lb 1oz
Catch - 30 Skimmers, 17 Roach
Weather - Cloudy, breezy.
Match - Open (19 fished) - 1st in silvers

Todays match would be a rover over the Old Match Lake and Willow and I was surprised 19 had booked in for New Year’s Day. 

I had 17th pick and I expected slim pickings. Most had picked Willow and I was surprised that p18 was still available. Having not drawn this peg before I decided to give it a go and it would be a useful practice for next week’s Winter League. The peg also offered some protection from the breeze. 

As this lake has been fishing really hard recently, I set up a proper silvers rig with 0.09 bottom, size 20 hook and 5 elastic, something I haven’t done for some time. I also set up another silvers rig to fish 2mm expanders/maggot a few metres off the end bank, where it was slightly shallower. 

On the all-in a ball of groundbait (Black Lake & Black Intelligent) with pinkie & caster was cupped in at 14m and a pinch of micros and caster at 14m along the end bank.

Whilst that settled, I cast the straight lead and double corn to the island. After 15mins without any indications I switched to the open water swim and started catching small roach straight away, then hand sized skimmers mostly on double pinkie, toss potting pinkie and caster.

Along the end bank I had 2 better skimmers (12oz – 1lb) almost immediately on 2mm expander, but that was it. In fact, this swim was disappointing. Even going 16m only produced a couple more skimmers and tiny roach.

Therefore, I spent most of time in the open water, topping up with a small ball of feed when needed and pinging caster over the top helped keep the fish coming.

After 3 hours I was up to 30 fish, however the 4th hour was really slow catching only 3 or 4 fish. A new swim was set up at 16m, with another ball of groundbait, pinkie and caster. After an initial slow start the skimmers returned until the end the match, plus a couple of roach over a short line.

Fortunately, very few of the big skimmers fed, which meant I won the silvers, ending my poor run at the venue. It also made a pleasant change fishing with light kit and plenty learned for next week.

1.
    60-10 – Carl Mulford – p24 (Willow)
2.    36- 1 – Jason Crump – p10 (Old Match Lake)
3.    25- 7 – Mark Sisson – p9 (Old Match Lake)
4.    20- 8 – Nigel Reeves – p22 (Willow)
5.    20- 1 – Baggy – p34 (Willow)

Silvers
1.    12- 1 – Ken Rayner – p18 (Old Match Lake)
2.      8- 2 – Jason Crump – p10 (Old Match Lake)
3.      7-15 – Eddy Marsh – p1 (Old Match Lake)
4.      6-15 – Steve Martin – p26 (Willow)

No comments: