Monday 13 February 2023

11/02/23 - Todber - Hillview

Weight - 105lb
Catch - 38 Carp
Weather - Sunny with cloudy periods. Light breeze
Match - Open (26 fished) - 8th overall

No fishing last weekend, so I was keen for a double header this weekend, although more heavy frosts during the week would probably mean wherever I went it was going to be tricky. In the end I decided to go to Todber and 26 of us all on Hillview.

P59 for me and a good winter area especially with p58 out of action due to a dodgy platform.

Starting on the straight lead and meat I had a good first hour catching 10 carp for about 25lb, with 8mm red meat being the best.

After an hour the swim was slowing and I switched to the 14.5m line where I had been pinging pellet, however this was slower than expected and the stamp of fish was on the small side. To be honest I wasn’t happy with my 6mm pellet, as I left my normal pellet at home and felt the ones I was using were too light.

Wynner next to me on p60 and Nick Veale on p57 were also struggling. At the halfway point Wynner started pinging pellet to the island to make something happen and shortly afterwards had a good run of fish on the lead and meat to overtake me. In the meantime, I was struggling. I started pinging meat over the lead line and had a few fish, but it didn’t last and Wynner was back to struggling for bites.

I had fed a short meat line and managed 8 carp in the last hour, but again it was slow going.

In the end I was disappointed not to have weighed more and Wynner beat me by 20lb to take the section money. In hindsight I wonder whether I should have stuck to fishing the lead and just be patient rather than trying to make something happen on the pole.

1. 249-10 - Craig Edmunds - p49
2. 175-  2 - Mark Poppleton - p54
3. 152-14 - Jack Stamp - p53
4. 136-  0 - Gary O'Shea - p56
5. 127-  8 - Mark Wynne - p60

No comments: