Monday 27 February 2023

26/02/23 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 56lb 10oz
Catch - 31 F1s, 10 Carp, 1 Gudgeon
Weather - Mostly sunny, but NW breeze
Match - Winter League - rd 5 (50 fished) - 1st in section, 3rd overall

The re-arranged last round of the Winter League and my turn for Heron.

I was lying 11th and needed a bit of luck to get into the paying top 8. I felt if I could get at least a 2nd in section and hope for a couple of those above me to blow out I could get there.

I was hoping to draw between p7-p11, as this side of the lake had been better than the opposite pegs, however when I got to the draw, pegs 7,8,9 & 11 were already gone. Fortunately, I pulled p10, so that was the first job done, now I just needed to catch a few fish.

Jason May was to my right on p9 who was just behind me in the league, so I really needed to beat him as well as Jamie Dixey opposite on p21 who won last week’s match.

During the week the weather had returned to frosts and there was a cold NE breeze blowing right to left, which meant the water had cleared a little from last week. Although I had some pellet, I wasn’t convinced it would work so decided to stick with maggot over the pole lines.

On the all-in I started on the lead and bread cast to the island. After 15mins I caught my first F1 and stayed on this for the next hour, netting a further 9 F1s and a 2.5lb carp. So, a great start, however when that line dried up and I switched to the pole at 15m I struggled to get a bite, adding only a couple of fish over the next hour.

In the meantime, I could see both Jason and Jamie eating into my early lead. Fortunately, by moving out to 16m and continuing to toss pot maggot with a few micros I started to pull in a few fish.

Except for a 15min spell when the bites dried up and I switched back to the lead and bread, I stayed on the pole and maggot, moving slightly right whenever it slowed. The last 45mins in particular was really good and I knew I had beaten those on my side of the lake and just hoped my late burst of fish was enough to beat Jamie which I did by 11lb.

Despite the wind being a little awkward at times I had a lovely day’s fishing to win the lake. Fortunately, a couple of results went my way allowing me to finish 6th overall and a £185 pickup.

1.   
64-  6 – Andy Lloyd – P7 (Old Match Lake)
2.    64-  4 – Val Murray – p5 (Old Match Lake)
3.    56-10 – Ken Rayner – p10 (Heron)
4.    45-12 – Jamie Dixey – p21 (Heron)
5.    40-  0 – Jof Rogers – p8 (Old Match Lake)
6.    38-14 – Mick O’Brien – p1 (Old Match Lake)


























No comments: