Monday 6 March 2023

05/03/23 - Shiplate - West Pool

Weight - 100lb 1oz
Catch - 22 Carp, 1 Roach
Weather - Grey and cold
Match - Open (12 fishing) - 2nd overall

I fancied going somewhere different this weekend and settled on Shiplate, which is a venue I wish was a little closer as its just over an hour’s drive from home.

There were 12 of us over Hawthorn and West Pool, so plenty of room. Peg 13 on West Pool for me and the general feeling from those I asked suggested it was an average draw. Steve Howell who was on peg 11 thought peg 2 would be difficult to beat as it had quite a bit of room today.
I was told by a number of people that maggot was the way to go and that is how I expected to catch. There was a match on the main lake which was due to start 30mins after ours and when our match started there was still anglers walking along the far bank, so decided to start down the middle feeding maggot and leave the far bank alone.

After 40mins I hadn’t had a bite, although Steve had a couple of fish doing the same. Switching to fishing tight across, I initially tried an expander which was being nipped by silvers, but I got the feeling there were a few carp about and tried dobbing bread, which produced a roach!

I then tried 7mm meat over a few micros and stayed on this for much of the match, fishing a 4x10 strung out rig, alternating left and right between the bush and the reeds. By feeding quite lightly I managed to keep the fish coming and avoided foul hookers, which can be a problem on this lake.

As the match progressed it was noticeable the average stamp of fish was reducing from 5-6lb to 3-4lbers. With 30mins remaining the swim was slowing so switched to a short (8m) meat line which produced 2 carp and a final fish from the right-hand deep margin.

I beat those around me, however as expected p2 won the lake. So overall I was pleased to have finished 2
nd overall, but to be honest a little annoyed to have not picked up as the pay out was top weight and top silvers on each lake. The silvers money on both lakes was won with accidentals, 5lb on West Pool and 14oz on Hawthorns.

That aside, I had a lovely day’s fishing and looking forward to going back.

1.    110- 6 – Dave Stevens – p2w
2.    100- 1 – Ken Rayner – p13w
3.      97- 0 – Matt Shepherd – p12h
4.      95- 0 – Alan Quantrill – p7h 



No comments: