Monday 27 March 2023

25/03/23 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 17lb 14oz
Catch - 3 Carp, 1 Skimmer, 1 Roach
Weather - Mostly sunny, cloudy periods, strong westerly
Match - Open (10 fished) - 4th overall

The weather leading up to this weekend had cooled down from the previous week with plenty of rain which had a big impact on the fishing. 

I drew p16 which hasn’t been great recently, however with the strong wind off my back I at least would be able to fish the pole and hopefully catch a few.

Starting on the straight lead and corn, produced a few liners between the islands, but no fish. Neither did fishing at 14m over micros with corn or pellet.

As the carp didn’t seem to be feeding as I only saw Joff on p18 catching, I thought I would catch a few silvers and fed 2 balls of Intelligent Sweet Black with micros and dead maggot at 13m. Well, it appeared the silvers didn’t want to feed either as I only caught 1 skimmer and a roach after 3hrs fishing.

I kept pinging pellet and corn to the island and eventually caught 3 carp on a small method and 6mm yellow wafter. Thinking the carp may at last start feeding, groundbait was fed down the right margin and micros/corn down the left. I never had a bite. In fact, at the end of the match I scooped my margins with my landing net and the bait was still there so nothing came into feed.

So, a really tough day, where one more carp would have put me 2nd overall. I’ll be glad when this weather settles down.

1.    43- 1 – Joff Rogers – p18
2.    20- 0 – Alistair Tilney – p7
3.    19- 5 – Phil Gooding – p9
4.    17-14 – Ken Rayner – p16
Silvers
1.      5-13 – Baggy – p12 (mostly roach)
2.      4-14 – Phil Gooding – p9
3.      4- 5 – Darren Wright – p5

No comments: