Monday 13 February 2023

12/02/23 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 52lb 4oz
Catch - 26 Carp, 25 F1s, 3 Gudgeon
Weather - Mostly cloudy. Light westerly.
Match - Open (5 fished) - 2nd overall

With the rescheduled final round of the winter league coming up I wanted to get back to Heron Lake to see how it was fishing. Sadly what started as 9 fishing, ended up with only 5 which was disappointing. There were also 10 on the Old Match Lake. To be honest I think it would be best to have combined the 2 matches on either one of the lakes.

As there were only 5 of us it was decided to put us all down one bank, pegs 6 to 11 and I drew p8 right in the middle.

On the all in a small ball of black intelligent and maggot was deposited at 14.5m. Whilst that settled, I started on the lead and bread to the island. After 45mins I had 5 F1s, which was probably leading jointly with Dave Willmott on p11 who was also getting pestered by tiny carp and gudgeon.

When I switched to the pole at 14.5m it didn’t produce a bite, so I soon pushed out to 15.5m just feeding a toss pot of maggot. Initially it was slow, catching tiny carp and gudgeon. A switch to fishing double maggot, meant waiting a little longer for bites but I would catch a proper F1 or carp and I had a lovely few hours, switching slightly to my left and moving up the far shelf to 16m to keep catching.

With an hour to go the swim was drying up a little, so I switched to the lead & bread, whilst pinging maggot over the pole line. With no bites I was soon back on the pole line and the rest seemed to have done some good as I had a good finish to the match, however Dave Willmott just pipped me for the win - again.

1.    55- 8 – Dave Willmott – p11
2.    52- 4 – Ken Rayner – p8
3.  34-  8 - Mike Allen - p9

No comments: