Monday 20 February 2023

19/02/23 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 40lb 13oz
Catch - 22 F1s, 14 Carp, 4 Gudgeon
Weather - Mostly sunny. Southerly breeze
Match - Open (17 fished) - 2nd overall

Today’s match was a last chance to see how the lake is fishing with an eye on next weeks final round of the winter league.

I was more than happy with p9, a great peg as its on the widest part of the lake, although I do prefer the pegs at this time of year where you can reach the island shelf with the pole.

Mild temperatures meant I wasn’t sure whether today would be a maggot or pellet day, although the southerly breeze kept it on the cool side.

On the all-in I caught a mini carp on a mini method and maggot and then an F1 on the lead and bread, but it was a lot slower than I expected.

Switching to the pole at 14.5m where I had fed a little black intelligent and maggot only produced a few tiny carp and gudgeon, so I soon pushed out at 16m toss potting maggot, fishing double maggot.

The action was slower than last week, but at least I was catching mostly F1s and to be honest other than Jamie opposite I couldn’t see anyone catching, so I just kept going.

Eventually the 16m line was dying. A switch to a 16m line to my left feeding micros and fishing 4mm expander, was a little slower than the maggot line, although the stamp of fish was slightly better. I was hoping this line would gradually improve, unfortunately it didn’t and pinging pellet over the top didn’t help either.

In an effort to make something happen I had a nice 30min spell on the method tight to the island, feeding mostly groundbait before that died.

Another run of fish back on the 16m maggot line was useful, however the last 30mins was proving to be difficult and then Andy Dixey on p8 got me a little worried as he started catching shallow on maggot. Fortunately, he didn’t catch enough, although the wind was being a pain and spreading the maggot over too wide an area.

It was good to get a pickup after a number of recent near misses and fingers crossed for a decent draw next Sunday.

1.
    58- 0 – Jamie Dixey – p21
2.    40-13 – Ken Rayner – p9
3.    36- 1 – Ian Driscoll – p14
4.    31-11 – Steve Fox – p13
5.    30- 4 – Andy Dixey – p8

No comments: