Wednesday 1 February 2023

29/01/23 - Todber - Ash

Weight - 63lb 8oz
Catch - 22 Carp, 6 Skimmers
Weather - Cloudy and south westerly breeze
Match - Open (9 fished) - 2nd in section

Mark organised todays match and with only 9 of us we were all on Ash, which was ice free unlike Hillview of which ½ of the lake was still covered.

Based on yesterdays match the fish had done their usual winter trick of balling up around p70, so Mark settled on 2 sections so at least those drawn off the fish had something to fish for.

I drew p66, so off the favoured area, although p67 (not in today) won yesterday’s match and both Richard Yeo (68) and I hoped the fish were still resident.

On the all-in I fed a few micros and corn at 14m. Whilst that settled, I tried the straight lead and bread, and then meat to the far bank without success. Rich hadn’t caught and neither had Jack Stamp to my left fishing the far bank, so I didn’t waste too much time before switching to the 14m line.

Initially fished corn which produced a skimmer and then a carp, but it was very slow. Eventually, by pinging 4s and tapping in 4s I started to catch on hair rigged 4s, In the meantime Jack was catching from the far bank and we were level pegging until mid-match when he had a 5 or 6 quick fish and my 14m line was drying up.

Back on the straight lead and meat produced a couple of fish, but it wasn’t as good as I hoped.

I felt I needed to move out to 16m and delayed due to the wind being a bit tricky. When I did eventually switch, I had a slow start, but at least I started catching again pulling back the deficit on Jack. In the last 30mins I couldn’t get in quick enough and wished they had turned up (or switched) earlier as I might have taken the section, which Jack won with 75lb mostly catching from the far bank.

I had also fed maggot short, but never had a bite here.

Despite the poor draw (although the end pegs were definitely worse) I still had a nice day, although the rain as we were packing up wasn’t welcome.

1.    189-  0 – Mark Poppleton – p70
2.    170-  0 – Dwayne Seed – p71

 

No comments: