Monday 30 August 2021

29/08/21 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 131lb 10oz
Catch - 86 Carp, 40 F1s, 5 Chub, 1 Roach
Weather - Cloudy and cool
Match - Open (12 fished)

I haven’t fished this lake since the spring and to be honest I just wanted to catch a few fish after a tough couple of matches. 

I had some spare (vacuum packed) casters that needed using, so decided on a caster shallow approach and was happy with p8. 

I started at on paste at 2+1 whilst priming the caster line, thinking I might catch a few decent fish to start, but the fish I was catching were 8-12oz fish. I persevered and caught a few better fish, but it didn’t feel right. A switch to 6mm pellet was better and after an hour I had 12 carp, but had too many tiny fish, whilst Martin and Dave to my left had the same number of fish, but they were much bigger F1’s and carp on pellet shallow.

There were fish swirling over the caster and I started catching straight away on banded caster, but it soon became obvious it wasn’t going to be as easy as I hoped it would be. They would come really shallow for the caster, but as soon the pole came over their heads they went deeper. I tried catching at 12-18in but caught most at 6-8in so had to work really hard to keep the bites coming. 

I had also started feeding 4s and corn (with Baninion Boost) down my right margin on the top kit. At times I was catching really quickly on corn and ended up alternating with the shallow line when it faded. 

I was pleased to weigh 131-10 and I know I should have caught more, as fishing paste at the start was a mistake and the shallow line wasn’t quite right. However, it was nice to put a few fish in the net and I am looking forward to returning.

1.  233-14 – Ryan Shipp – p23
2. 220-  4 – Joe McMahon – p17
3.  169-12 – Dave Willmott – p11
4.  162-  6 – Mick O'Brien – p4
5.  140-  8 – Vince Shipp – p21
6.  131-10 – Ken Rayner – p8

No comments: