Thursday 12 August 2021

08/08/21 - Todber - Whiteposts

Weight - 105lb 13oz
Catch - 31 Carp
Weather - Sunshine and showers
Match - Haines Summer Series (16 fished)

The 5th round of the Haines Summer Series and I really needed a good result as this league has not gone well for me this year.

The day started well drawing p27 on the bottom lake at Whiteposts, which is the end peg and one I’ve always wanted to draw. Reports suggested this lake had been fishing hard and 100lb was likely to be a decent weight.
 
Starting on 8mm meat at 2+2 and I caught 4 carp, but then lost the next 6! Despite fishing 17 dura elastic the fish where in the lilies down the end bank or snagging in the reeds to my left. I lost my rhythm repairing rigs, replacing hooklength and trying to keep my temper under control. All this meant I caught next to nothing during the 2nd hour and falling behind Matt and Si immediately to my right.
 
I managed to catch a few on paste, but the swim then just started fizzing and had to wait too long for a proper bite.
 
A switch down the margin, meant I had to fish at 10m, due to some reeds and a pipe. Initially, fed groundbait which like yesterday brought the fish in, but had to wait for a proper bite on worm. A further switch to fishing paste was much better and this was how I caught for most of the remainder of the match.

Using a short top kit and strong elastic meant I was able to keep most of the fish away from the various snags, but still ruined a couple of rigs and was glad when the match finished.
 
Both Matt and Si caught really well down their margins at 2+1 on maggot, so well done to them. I think even if I had brought maggot, I would have struggled to keep pace as I would have had to fish longer down my margin.
 
Come the weigh in I finished a very disappointing 5th in section and effectively my league is now over. With 2 rounds left, I’m just hoping for a strong finish.
 
1. 180-11 - Matt Banks - p26    
2. 180-  3 - Si Davis - p24      
3. 135-  1 - Dave Martin - p22    
4. 131-  4 - Steve Musitano - p13 
5. 114-  8 - Steve Martin - p1     

No comments: