Monday 9 August 2021

07/08/21 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 92lb 6oz (11lb 14oz - silvers)
Catch - 19 Carp, 1 F1, 11 Skimmers, 2 Roach, 1 Perch
Weather - Cloudy, sunny periods and showers
Match - Open (23 fished)

With the Old Match Lake and Kingfisher in the draw bag, I fancied the Old Match Lake as I’m due to fish a charity match on the lake next Saturday.

I got my wish with peg 9, which was a noted flier before Andy divided the main lake in two. It’s the only peg with no island chuck and looking at past recent results, it has not featured that often, however with the wind blowing in I fancied it for a few.

Starting down the end bank, fishing a 50:50 Kriller : Blue Ice paste (its produces a very dark green colour) I’ve had a small carp straight away, with a second 20mins later, but it was a lot slower than expected.

A switch to the 2+2 line where I had been feeding 6mm fishery pellet flavoured with Sludge, with an 8mm on the band produced another 2 small carp and a skimmer. However, after 2hrs I wasn’t really going anywhere, but then again not much was being caught around me.

With so few carp showing I decided to feed baninion boosted corn and 4s at 13m, which produced some decent skimmers and few more small carp all on corn.

To give the 13m line a rest I tried the short pellet line with no success and the end bank failed to produce any further fish. So decided to knock up some groundbait and feed in slight shallower water at 16m by the reeds.

With 90mins to go I had about 40lb. Over the groundbait I caught 2 better carp, 1 on double corn and another on worm, but the fish didn’t settle for long and the swim wasn’t producing as expected. I had also been feeding micros and 4s down my left margin, which hadn’t produced earlier in the match, but they turned up catching 10 carp up to 9lb all on the paste. Lovely!

By the end I didn’t want the match to end and was pleased to weigh 92lb for 5th on the lake, which was one of the better recent weights from the peg, however the bulk of the better weights came from the other end of the lake.

I felt that I didn’t get the first 2 hours right, waiting too long for the end bank swim to kick into life and fishing an 8mm pellet over 2 pellet lines, when I should have refined the rig and fished a 6mm pellet, rather than waiting for the better carp to turn up.

What I really like about this place is you are never truly out of it and there are enough bigger carp to turn around your match.

1. 122-12      Chris Timms - p1 (OML)
2. 118-  2      Ryan Shipp - p15 (OML)
3. 115-12      Elick Payne - p44 (KF)
4. 108-  2      Mark Poppleton - p37 (KF)
5. 105-  8      Chris Telling - p45 (KF)
6. 104-10      Nic Baggott - p2 (OML)

Silvers         

1.   45-  4      Ryan Shipp - p15 (OML)
2.   14-  8      Freddie Wotlyla - p38 (KF)    
2.   14-  8      Allan Oram - p13 (KF)
4.   13-  8      Tim Rust - p47 (KF)
5.   13-  4      Jim Butcher - p4 (OML)

No comments: