Monday 30 August 2021

28/08/21 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 56lb 8oz (silvers - 10lb)
Catch - 13 Carp, 11 Skimmers
Weather - Cloudy start, brighter later. Light breeze.
Match - Open (12 fished)

After coming 2nd on this lake 2 weeks ago I was looking forward to returning and putting what I learnt into action.

Drawing peg 16 was a good start, as it’s a peg with form. Decided to start at 16m fishing a 6mm killer pellet over 4mm fishery pellet flavoured with sludge. I was soon attached to an 8lber which I promptly lost at the net and unfortunately that set the tone for my match. I only caught a couple of carp at 16m and in hindsight probably overfed it.

After an hour I tried my skimmer line at 14.5m to my left fed with corn and micros, which again produced a few fish, but it was really slow.

Casting a small method loaded with micros & rocks with a 6mm yellow gofter cast to the island was my best swim, but for some reason I struggled to keep the fish on the hook, losing 1 in some reeds on the island and 4 under the rod tip. It was really frustrating.

With 2 hours to go I hoped my margins would come to my rescue, but again it was slow and frustrating. I had 1 carp to my right on kriller paste over micros & 4s and another on corn down my left, but the fish just didn’t seem to settle losing a couple of foul hookers.

I also tried a 5m paste line, which produced a 10lber and I thought here we go, but after that only had a small carp and a skimmer.

Really not happy with my match, just felt I was trying to force the swim too much, which wasn’t helped by losing fish. In all honesty I felt I should have had at least 80lb had I fished a better match, so was disappointed when only 78lb was needed for 2nd. At least there is plenty of room for improvement!

1. 132-10 – Steve – p2
2.    78- 0 – Jeff – p10
3.    71-14 – Mick – p18
4.     69- 8 – Vince – p12

Silvers
1.    26- 8 – Pete – p1
2.    20- 2 – Steve – p2
3.    11- 8 – Paul – p4
4.    10- 8 – Mark – p8

No comments: