Tuesday 17 August 2021

14/08/21 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 60lb 6oz (4lb 4oz - silvers)
Catch - 14 Carp, 5 Skimmers
Weather - Warm and mostly sunny
Match - Kidney Research Charity Match (18 fished)

Today’s match was a charity run my Louise Robins for Kidney Research and when I booked in had the choice of fishing either the Old Match Lake or Heron. I decided on the Old Match Lake with all 18 pegs in, drew p3, which is an average peg, but in the right area currently.

On the all-in I started on a small method, using fishery micros flavoured with ‘Sludge’ and sprinkling of ‘Rocks’, hoping for an early fish, but had to wait 20mins before catching a 3lber on a 6mm orange gofter and then an 8lber a further 20mins later on a 6mm yellow.

In the meantime, I had fed some micros, 4s and corn at 14.5m, but only caught a small carp on worm. After 2hrs, I only had the 3 carp, but other than peg 1 no one was catching, and the lake was fishing harder than expected. I even tried slapping for a few of the cruisers, but they just didn’t seem interested.

Fortunately, the 14.5m line eventually produced a few skimmers and more carp on worm, followed by a couple more carp on the feeder, but it was slow going. Peg 1 was still catching and noticed Allan on peg 5 had a run of fish.

With 3hrs (halfway) to go, I started feeding both margins with pellet and corn, but only had 1 carp which was surprising. I had also started feeding micros and 4s at 6m, and by fishing paste (50:50 Kriller & Blue Ice) managed a further 6 carp and a skimmer.

Come the weigh in I was surprised my 60lb 6oz was good enough for 2nd, fortunately those late paste fish were slightly bigger than the average stamp and it was nice to be the right side of a close result.

£1,400 was raised for Kidney Research so a great effort by everyone.

1.   
69-  6 – Mark Baston – p1
2.    60-  6 – Ken Rayner – p3
3.    60-  2 – Allan Oram – p5
4.    56-  8 – Nic Baggott – p11
5.    52-  6 – Andy Dixey – p8

Silvers
1.  11-10 - Jason Crump - p14
2.  11-  8 - Mark Baston - p1
3.  11-  4 - Phil Godding - p13

No comments: