Monday 23 August 2021

21/08/21 - Glebe - Pool 7

Weight - 5lb 12oz
Catch - 1 Carp
Weather - Cloudy and showery. Light breeze
Match - Angling Trust Master (36 fished)

The header is not a misprint. I did only catch 1 carp and was left disappointed and angry for a couple of reasons.

This was supposed to be the Angling Trust Masters, however only 6 teams of 6 had entered, which is extremely disappointing and to be honest takes the shine of the event. When I first fished over 10 years ago, there where 16 teams, including many household names. As time has gone by the number of teams has dwindled and is now largely made up of local teams, so calling it the Angling Trust masters is misleading. For me and some others the prestige of entering a team has been diminished. In all the years I’ve fished this event in the name of the Angling Trust I have yet to see a presentative in attendance and they don’t appear to do anything to promote the event, which begs the question why I had to pay for membership?

Each year, I hear it will be better next year, but it hasn’t and 9 years ago I wrote about this very subject. Fishing-Ken's Angling Log: 11/08/12 - Glebe - Foundation Lake (kenrayner-fishing.blogspot.com)

Back to the match I was fishing under the ‘The Pellet Guys’ banner, with Mark Poppleton, Tom Thick, Chris Telling, Mark Wynne and Lee ‘Mushy’ Farmer. The sides we felt we needed to beat were Daiwa and Mallory Pink, which including Andy Findlay and Andy Kinder.

My draw put me on pool 7, p104 which was OK, but with only 6 anglers on the lake we all had plenty of space and I was looking forward to it. On arrival it became obvious there was an issue, as there were a number of dead fish on the surface, mostly bream up to 4lb and a number of carp gasping on the surface.

It appears the lake was suffering from an oxygen crash with an oxygen reading of only 30 or so, the ideal reading should be 80-120. These things happen, however there was an issue with the lake yesterday.

I expected a hard match but hoped it would improve as the match progressed.

I fished at 10m, firstly with paste, but after 30mins, no had caught, so set up a lighter rig to fish maggot or expander just to get a bite, but nothing. I periodically tried this line, plus a new shorter line with corn throughout the match, but never had a bite.

It was the same story in the margins and a 25m line (waggler/lead) fed with 8mm pellet. There were also a few fish cruising about, but they weren’t interested in feeding.

Realising it was going to be difficult, decided to fish a small cage feeder to the far bank, filled with So Simple Kriller and Blue Ice groundbait, kriller micros and hemp with dead maggot on the hook.

I lost 1 fish after 2hrs, which I thought was hooked properly, but it fell off halfway across. In the meantime, the 1st 2 pegs (98 & 100) where the main aerator was now on, were catching a few fish whilst the rest of us were still blanking. Fortunately, the tip went round again after 3.5hr and I played the fish very gingerly setting the clutch quite light and it was a relief to land the fish. I never had another bite.

My 1 carp was good enough for 3rd in section, with 3 blanks and the team finished 3rd overall behind the 2 fancied team.

I don’t wish to be overly critical of the Glebe management team as running a fishery isn’t easy, however myself and a number of others don’t understand why the aerators weren’t switched on overnight and my section wasn’t switched to another lake, either Pool 3 or 9. After a 200 mile round trip, paying for bait etc, I was understandably not happy.

1st - 264- 12 - Tom Edwards (Team Daiwa) - peg 86, lake 6.
2nd - 208-  6 - Lee Farmer (The Pellet Guys/Tom Thick Baits) - peg 82, lake 5.
3rd - 192-  4 - Pete Caton (Team Daiwa) - peg 85, lake 5.
4th - 190-  0 - Jimmy Fowkes (Team Daiwa) - peg 70, lake 4.
5th - 184-  6 - Simon Skelton (Team Daiwa) - peg 22, lake 1.
6th - 184-  4 - Andrew Williams (Mallory Team Pink) - peg 24, lake 1.

1st - Team Daiwa - 10pts
2nd - Mallory Pink - 11pts
3rd - Pellet Guys/Tom Thick baits - 16pts
4th - Mallory Blue - 25pts
5th - Franky's Friends - 31pts
6th - Team Gosling - 36pts

No comments: