Monday 28 June 2021

27/06/21 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 80lb
Catch - 17 Carp
Weather - Cool and cloudy
Match - Wiltshire Angling Open (16 fished)

I am not sure anyone was actually looking forward to this match, as the lake has been fishing hard. I drew p5 and with the NE breeze blowing right to left I quite fancied it.

The intention was for a simple match, fishing the method long, pinging 8mm pellet at 20-25m and maybe a few fish on the paste by the right-hand tree later.

First cast on the method loaded with So Simple RTGs (Krillers : Red) with a 6mm yellow gofter and the tip went round much to my surprise. As I was playing the fish under my rod tip the hooklength gave way and a 7lber made its escape much to my disappointment. I can only think it caught a root, of which there are many close in. Knowing it was likely to be a low weight affair I felt that fish would cost me.

Back out with the feeder, it was slow going and after 3hrs I had 5 carp, but lost 2 under the trees to my left and right which was frustrating as the peg is quite narrow and any fish that kited left or right were difficult to get back.

Adding a further 5m to the feeder line produced another 4 quite quickly, but it was obvious Kev Hanson on p2 was walking the match by casting a method to the island as every time I looked up, he was catching a fish.

After 4hrs of pinging 8mm pellet at 20-25m, I caught 4 carp on an 8mm red gonut pellet, but surprisingly those were the only 4 fish off this line.

Going into the last hour I caught 3 decent carp on the paste (blue ice:kriller) and 1 more on the feeder.

As expected, Kev easily won the match and that lost 7lber at the start of the match did indeed cost me 2nd overall, as I finished 4th, but managed to pick up the section money.

The lake fished better than expected; although fewer fish were caught the average size has increased. 

No more fishing for me for the next 2 weeks, due to family commitments.

1. 124-  0 - Kev Hanson - p2
2.   84-  8 - Steve Garnder - p14
3.   80-  6 - Ian Stainer - p7
4.   80-  0 - Ken Rayner - p5
5.   76-15 - Pete Neate - p19   

No comments: