Thursday 10 June 2021

09/06/21 - Durleigh Reservoir

Weight - 11lb 2oz
Catch - 3 Bream
Weather - Warm, cloudy, sunny periods, gentle breeze
Match - So Simple Knock Up (10 fished)

I’ve been looking forward to going back to Durleigh since I last fished it nearly 2 years ago. Today there were 10 So Simple members fishing and following reports of bream showing yesterday we were expecting bulging nets and a good days fishing.

I drew peg 6 near the slipway and with David Wykes on p7 we both thought we were in the right area, particularly since we all had plenty of space.

I had contemplated bringing a pole to fish short for roach, but decided against it and just brought 2 feeder rods, both with method feeders clipped at 51m and 75m. At the start I spent nearly 15mins feeding my ‘short’ line with So Simple Crush & BMG, micros, 4s and some corn, all boosted with baninion juice, giving them a bed of feed to graze over later.

I was expecting a slow start, but the following 3hrs were fairly uneventful, as I switched between the 2 lines, I even tried dead maggot just to get a bite. Fortunately, I wasn’t the only one. Trev on p6 and Dave were also blanking, both of whom know how to catch the Durleigh bream and the grapevine suggested it was fishing hard. Although no one had heard from Andy who was hiding behind a tree on the end peg in the shallow water.

On the 3hr mark, Dave landed 1, after losing 1 earlier and as he landed his, I had an indication and a Bream on! At nearly 4lb it was a nice start, 2 more followed within 45mins, including a near 6lber all at 75m on an 8mm yellow gofter, I thought here we go.

The following 2hrs 15mins I was biteless again. I was fairly single minded in my approach i.e. only fishing the method, but both Dave and Trev tried all sorts to get a bite and failed, so it was difficult to measure if I got it right or not.

At least this swan kept me company or was it the freebies I was giving him.

My 11lb 2oz was only good enough for 6th on the day; but 1 more bream would have brought me 3rd, so quite tight for the minor placings.

As it happened Andy Seery found the fish in the shallower water comfortably winning with 81lb 5oz. So well done to Andy. We were all pleased for him as he works hard on the So Simple baits in the BOG shed, which we all appreciate.


1st 81- 5 – Andy
2nd 19- 0 – Chris Whitehead
3rd 14- 5 – Mike Hosgood
4th 12- 9 - Jerry





No comments: