Monday 28 June 2021

26/06/21 - Ivy House - Moorhen

Weight - 39lb 0oz (8lb 0oz - silvers)
Catch - 25 Carp, 17 Skimmers, 4 F1, 3 Roach, 2 Tench, 2 Perch
Weather - Warm & sunny
Match - Open (27 fished)

Today’s match was split over the Old Match Lake and the 2 canals, and I really wanted a draw on the Old Match Lake to put right some of the wrongs from last Saturday. So I was disappointed to draw p33 on Moorhen, which was in the same section as Kingfisher. Asking around no one knew how it would fish as a match hadn’t been held on the lake for some time, but the general consensus was that it wouldn’t compete with Kingfisher.

On the all in, I started short on 6mm pellet, 15mins later with no bites, moved to 13m and again no bites. I eventually caught after 30mins fishing paste across to the far bank, but the fish were only about a 1lb (which had been transferred from Heron) and from what I could see no one had caught any better sized carp.

After catching 5 carp across on paste, it was proving difficult and I knew I wasn’t catching quickly enough. At the start of the match, I had cupped in 2 balls of groundbait at 13m to my right in case I needed to go for some silvers. This line only produced 1 small carp on worm.

A new line off to my left tosspotting micros, again produced small carp, either on dead maggot, 4mm expander or worm, but I was at least getting a few skimmers in between the carp, although again they were mostly small.

A 5m line where I had been feeding micros produced more carp, plus a couple of better skimmers and tench, but the action was short lived and a new groundbait line (fed more sparingly) failed to produce anything other than a couple of carp.

In the last 90mins, if I had any hope of picking up in the silvers I needed some of the proper skimmers and started to feed corn and micros down the margins. Whilst I caught a couple of skimmers, I had more carp and finished the match well off the pace.

In hindsight I should have fished a better silver’s match and probably been more patient when trying to develop the various swims. The 13m micro line was probably my best swim, but I came off it as I could only catch 3-6oz skimmers in amongst the carp, when I should have stuck with it and waited for the better fish to turn up.

Jamie on p35 fished for carp all day, but only weighed 65lb to win our lake, but was 30lb off winning the section as the top weights for the section came off Kingfisher. Steve Partington on p33 won the silvers on the canals with 19lb, which included a number of decent skimmers late on down his margin. So I had the right idea, but just didn’t execute it properly.

1. 139-  0 - Elick Payne - p1 (OML)
2. 103-  8 - Steve Waters - p12 (OML)
3.   99-  0 - John Rodgers - p10 (OML)
4.   91-  6 - Baggy - p39 (Kingfisher)
5.   82-  6 - Andy Dixey - p15 (OML)
6.   70-  8 - Pete Bailey - p37 (Kingfisher)

Silvers
1.  37-14 - Ryan Shipp - p9 (OML) 
2.  19-14 - Steve Partington - p35 (Moorhen)
3.  17-  2 - Glynn - p2 (OML)
3.  17-  2 - Pete - p41 (Kingfisher)

No comments: