Saturday 17 July 2021

16/07/21 - Lavington - Ellis

Weight - 57lb 4oz
Catch - 10 Carp, 1 Bream
Weather - Warm, sunny & still
Match - Club Evening (7 fished)

After 2 weeks without fishing, I was looking forward to getting back and tonight’s match was the start of a busy few days fishing Woodlands View on Sunday, then the Glebe and Barston for an England fundraiser Monday & Tuesday.
 
P22 tonight gave me a cast towards the end of the island, but casting was a little awkward due to an overhanging branch above my head, necessitating me to take a step to my right whenever I cast.
 
I started the match on a large 20g method feeder, with a 50:50 mix of Kriller : CO2 RTGs with some ‘rocks’ and a 6mm yellow gofter. I did try an 8mm gofter, but caught the smaller fish of the day, so struck with the 6mm. For anyone who has tried the RTG’s they are excellent for using on the method and ‘rocks’ add a little extra flavour and activity.
 
After an 1hr 45mins I had 7 carp and a 3lb bream, which was more than everyone I could see, so a great start.
 
Having fed meat to my left in 5ft of water and pellet (4s & micros) in the right margin I was hoping for a hectic last 75mins, but it ended up being really frustrating. I soon had a carp on the paste (kriller), followed 15mins later by one on meat from the left hand swim, both of which were of a bigger stamp than the feeder. However, I lost 4 on the bounce, 2 from the left and 2 from the right when the hook pulled for no particular reason. That said, some of the fish in this lake have small or damaged mouths, which means getting a decent hook hold isn’t always possible.
 
My last fish came 5mins from time on paste and the lake has fished harder than expected. Fortunately, my net weighed 57- 4 for a comfortable win, with Ollie coming 2nd with 38-4 and Terry 3rd with 37-14.

No comments: