Thursday 22 July 2021

20/07/21 - Barston

Weight - 48lb 12oz (19lb 8oz - silvers)
Catch - 3 Carp, 1 F1, 22 Skimmers
Weather - Hot and sunny
Match - England Ladies Fundraiser (34 fished)

The 2nd day of the England Ladies Fundraiser and I was feeling a bit tired after a restless night at the hotel, not least because my car alarm went off twice during the night, thanks to a couple of fly’s that got into the car when I was packing up yesterday at the Glebe!

At least my draw meant a short walk to p16, which after a couple texts, I found out I was also in the right area on what was forecast to be another hot day, but at least I was sat in the shade… to start with anyway.

I spent the first 20mins slapping at 16m hoping for an early carp, but no takers. So switched to a large method loaded 50:50 mix of kriller & red RTG’s, with an 8mm choc orange gofter at 40m. Unfortunately, still no carp, but I did catch a few hand size skimmers, plus a 2lber which nearly dragged the rod in!

With 90mins gone, I had only seen 2 carp being caught, so decided to try and catch some skimmers, targeting the carp later. Therefore, cupped in micros, a few 4s and corn at 13m at slight angle to my left. Within 15mins I noticed the swim starting to fizz and by fishing corn, tosspotting 4s and corn started to catch some skimmers up to 2lb. After 90mins and 19lb in the net the swim slowed, probably not helped by the fact I got a bit excited with my feed and probably had too many fish in the swim, but none of them taking the bait.

In the meantime, I had been pinging pellet at 20-25m but couldn’t catch on the waggler, but Simon Watford to my right had 4 already. I had also been pinging a few pellets at 16m and noticed a swirl, so I was back out on the pole at 16m and soon caught a carp, quickly followed by a 2nd. However, the bright flat conditions meant the fish were shying away from the pole, although I managed another carp, a big F1 and a final skimmer.

I was really wishing there was a bit of a ripple as I really fancied the swim for a few more fish, but the conditions meant it was really tricky. In fact come the weigh in I was really surprised to find out I came 3rd overall

Well done to Julie Abbott for organising the 2 days and raising some extra funds for the ladies team.

1. 87-  8 - Pete Bailey - p24
2. 64-  6 - Simon Watford - p18
3. 48-12 - Ken Rayner - p16
4. 43-10 - John Pearson - p26
5. 39-14 - Andre Grandjeans - p54
6. 39-  8 - Ken Portas - p22


No comments: