Wednesday 21 July 2021

18/07/21 - Woodland View - High Pool

Weight - 98lb 14oz
Catch - 45 F1's, 6 Carp, 19 Roach, Rudd, Skimmers
Weather - Hot & sunny
Match - Haines Summer Series - rd 3 (13 fished)

Peg 5 gave me a short walk, but an otter fence meant I would have to break down 2 sections at a time, which would be a pain if I started to catch long.

On the all-in, with loads of fish on the surface I tried mugging a few with an 8mm pellet, however with no takers I soon realised there seemed to be more F1s than carp. So, I switched to fishing short on pellet or corn, whilst I started to feed caster at 13m.

With no proper bites on the short line and it not feeling right, I soon switched to the margin

and caught a few roach and a couple of F1s on 6mm (blue ice) expander or corn. After 45mins I switched to the shallow caster line, fishing banded caster for the next couple of hours, mostly at 12in with a few at 8in.

Going into the last hour I felt I needed to catch some carp and hoped I could find a few down the margin. Whilst I caught a few, they were no bigger than the F1’s and I wasn’t catching as quickly as the shallow line, so I ended up back on the shallow line for most of the remaining hour.

By the end I was enjoying myself and wished it was a 6hr match instead of 5hrs. I felt I was close to 100lb and was pleased to weigh 98-14, which was good enough for 2nd overall. Well done to Matt on winning, who had a better start than me and found a better stamp of carp down his margin, fishing meat over micros.

For a first visit I was really pleased, bar a couple of mistakes and would happily return.

1.119-  1 - Matt Banks - p7
2.  98-14 - Ken Rayner - p5
3.  95-  3 - Andy Eagle - p32
4.  88-  6 - Allan Oram - p11
5.  85-  0 - Cosmo - p24

 

 

 

 

No comments: