Sunday 25 July 2021

24/07/21 - Todber - Hillview

Weight - 199lb 8oz
Catch - 60 Carp, 2 Skimmers
Weather - Heavy rain and thunder overnight. Mostly cloudy and breezy.
Match - Open (42 fished)

Decided to fish the Saturday open, but felt it was likely I would be off the pace as I hadn’t fished here for a few weeks and when I drew p34 any thoughts of picking up disappeared. However, when I got to the peg the wind was blowing in and there is a longer margin than other pegs, so thought I might get a few, but in all honesty a drew in the 30s rarely competes.

I decided on a simple paste (So Simple Kriller : Blue Ice) match, setting up 3 paste rigs to fish 1+1, and down each margin with the left being deeper than the right. I also set up a meat rig to fish on the top kit and a method if I couldn’t catch.

Well, I knew after an hour it wasn’t going to happen. Starting on paste at 1+1 I lost my first 2 fish, which were hooked properly, then I kept foul hooking thereafter and it didn’t feel right. A switch to the left margin produced a few fish, but not quickly enough and a brief look on the feeder was also too slow.

After 2hrs I had 50lb, mostly from the left margin and already a long way behind those around me. The main issue was the number of lost fish, which was proving very frustrating. In the end I cut back on the feed and started to catch properly, alternating between each margin and then in the 5th and final hour had a good run of fish on the meat.

By the end I knew I didn’t do the peg justice weighing 199-8, but losing about 50lb and a slow first 2hrs meant I really should have had at least 250lb+.

The venue has fished ridiculously well with 7 weights over 300lb and 24 over 200lb.

1st: Mark Cannings 394lb 12oz (49 HV)
2nd: Tony Gilbert 346lb 14oz (84 HG)
3rd: Joe Mcmahon 337lb 2oz (60 HV)
4th: Ash Tomkins 333lb 14oz (57 HV)
5th: Lee Woodhouse 332lb 14oz (58 HV)
Section A: Colin Spencer 295lb 14oz (43 HV)
Section B: Jason Powell 323lb 12oz (56 HV)
Section C: Gary Oshea 300lb 4oz (76 HG)

No comments: