Saturday 31 July 2021

30/07/21 - Lavington - Ellis

Weight - 56lb 8oz
Catch - 9 Carp
Weather - Showery, cleared up later
Match - Club Evening Knock Up (6 fished)

This was likely to be the last evening match as the nights start to draw in. When I joined the club, I just wanted somewhere to fish close to home and the fact they had these evening knock-ups was bonus. Whilst the fishing has been tougher than expected they have been enjoyable.

For tonight’s match I drew p23, which I was happy with as it gave me the end of the island. Unfortunately, I started 5mins late as I had to re-set up my feeder rig as I lost the first rig in the tree on the end of the island when clipping up! In fact the tree was a pain, as I couldn’t get tight to the end of the island, so casted started a couple of metres off the island.

With no bites after 20mins, I than tried fishing tight in front of the island and surprisingly no bites again.

After 45mins, I switched to my 5m meat line to my left and I was soon attached to big common (probably about 12lb), but the hooklength eventually gave way after it rubbed up against some weed or a snag.

So, an hour into a 3hr match and no fish! Fortunately, after losing that carp, I landed a 5lber and then lost a couple. Losing fish seems to be a serial problem here, I even lost one carp where the hook pinged out of its top lip as I was drawing it towards the net – very frustrating.

During the 2nd hour I landed 2 more carp from the 5m line, including a 10lber. I had also tried the right margin where I had fed mircos, meat and corn in 2.5ft of water, where I hooked and lost a carp, but was surprised at the lack of activity.

With 40mins left, I was still on 3 carp, losing 5. However, the margin came to life, where I had 6 carp all on meat. I found it best to throw in a golf ball of micros and some meat whilst playing a fish, which gave the fish time to settle, so when I went back in, I would have a bite almost immediately.

My 56-8 was enough to win the evening.

1st - 56-  8 - Ken 
2nd - 43-  4 - Ollie
3rd - 38-14 - Tom

 

 

 

 

No comments: