Monday 5 June 2023

28/05/23 - Glebe - Pool 4

Weight - 89lb 10oz (17lb 8oz - silvers)
Catch - 16 Carp, 13 Skimmers, 1 Perch, 1 Rudd
Weather - Bright & sunny, cool easterly
Match - Ross Nursey Charity day 2 - 31st out of 56 (4th out of 6 section)

Day 2 and I’ve drew much better, p68 on pool 4, although I was a little concerned as the wind was blowing down the other end of the lake, plus local expert Andy Williams turned up on p69 and Dominic on p71.

I started on the feeder tight to the far bank, fishing groundbait with a few micros and 3 or 4 dead reds or whites on the hook. After 30mins of casting every 3 minutes I caught my first fish, a rudd. This was soon followed by skimmers and a couple of carp, although I lost 2 to an overhanging bramble.

I stayed on the feeder for about 90mins before the swim faded, but I was doing alright in comparison to everyone else and to be honest it’s the first time I felt confident fishing the feeder at the Glebe due to the 20in hooklength rule. In the meantime, I kept a short line topped up ready to fish paste, but never had a bite and the anglers to my right had all started catching down their margins.

I had started pinging pellet down my left margin and fished a banded 6s, catching a couple fish, but just not quickly enough and I was now falling behind. A switch to paste again down the margin produced a couple more fish, but it was a struggle to get a clean bite. In the end I fished corn over micros which was better but still not quite right.

In the end a disappointing 2nd half to the match, particularly as the 2 middle pegs had around 200lb, both catching on dead maggot and groundbait, which I didn’t have with me.

No comments: