Monday 5 June 2023

04/06/23 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 128lb 15oz
Catch - 87 Carp, 35 F1s
Weather - Warm and sunny
Match - Steve Martin Summer Series (13 fished) - 4th overall

Today was the first round of 5 of the Steve Martins summer series. Unfortunately, a couple of anglers couldn’t make this round, meaning we only had 13. Steve also decided to do the points this year based on your position in the match rather than section points, which will make it interesting!

Heron is one of my favourite lakes and it has been kind to me recently, except for p17. So when I drew p17, I was bit gutted as there are plenty of better pegs and it’s not a noted F1 area. The only good thing was the easterly breeze blowing into my bank, so I hoped a few fish had moved into the area.

On the all-in I started at 2+2 on paste and ended up staying on this line for 90mins catching 30 fish before running out of paste. I could have mixed up some more paste, but there were fish showing over my primed shallow caster line. I soon started catching on caster, although I wasn’t catching as quickly as I had hoped and I had quite a few tiny carp, which was annoying.

To try and catch a bit quicker I started feeding groundbait and micros down both margins on my top kit, which certainly brought the fish in, however I had to cut out the groundbait as it was just getting too messy as I struggled to get a proper bite. So I just fed mircos with a few 4s and corn, and started catching some better stamp fish on corn, alternating left and right. I periodically tried the shallow line to keep the fish coming, where I caught a couple of F1s, before the tiny carp re-appeared.

Well done to Tony for winning from p19, catching shallow on pellet and to be honest I was quite pleased to get 4th from my peg.

1.    154-11 – Tony Gilbert – p19
2.    143-  4 – Noddy – p11
3.    135-  6 – Steve Martin – p8
4.    128-15 – Ken Rayner – p17
5.    118-13 – Andy Eagle – p9


No comments: