Monday 26 June 2023

24/06/23 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 109lb 1oz (6lb 4oz - silvers)
Catch - 22 Carp, 12 Skimmers, 2 Roach
Weather - Hot & sunny
Match - Open (15 fished) - 4th overall

The first trip back to the Old Match Lake for a few weeks. I was more than happy with p10, as you usually have plenty of options with the island at 16m and a long left-hand margin, although it can be a bit hit and miss. 

I started on the method, but only caught 1 skimmer, which was frustrating as Andy Dixey on p8 was catching on the method to the island. Not sure why I struggled to catch, but I did.

In the meantime, I had fed some micros and 4s at 3+2, initially trying paste, which produced a skimmer and thinking I would catch a few more on expander or worm, I only caught 2 more and didn’t waste too much time on that.

I tried mugging a few carp that started to show as well as feeding a shallow line, but neither approach yielded any success, and I was falling behind.

So far, I had resisted fishing 16m to the island, a) I thought I would catch on the method and b) my back hasn’t been great recently, however I felt I had no choice. By toss potting corn and micros with corn on the hook I started catching skimmers and the occasional carp.

Once that line died, I came back to my short line, where I had kept feeding 4s and had a carp first drop in. I stayed on this line for most of the match, trying my margins whenever it needed a rest. However, the margins only produced 2 fish, which was strange, as both sides were full of silvers, regardless of how much I fed. Fortunately the short line kept producing.

I finished the match 3lb off claiming 3rd and the first 90mins probably cost me, as I was a little out of touch and tried to work out how best to catch. I also lost a 4lber at the net when my elastic snapped at the connector, which didn’t help.

Well done to Richard who caught everything on the ‘teabag’ and when I had a closer look at his rig after the match, he had several takeaway tubs full of teabags. He reckoned he went through 60 bags during the match.

1.   
174- 0 – Richard Rogers – p12
2.    149- 0 – Flinty – p18
3.    112- 0 – Chris Timms – p7
4.    109- 1 – Ken Rayner – p10
Silvers
1.    39- 0 – Stu White – p16
2.    21- 2 – Phil Gooding – p3
3.    20- 0 – Alan Smith – p1
4.    11- 2 – Baggy – p15

No comments: