Monday 19 June 2023

18/06/23 - Shiplate - West Pool

Weight - 113lb 0oz
Catch - 22 Carp, 4 Skimmers, 1 Roach
Weather - Warm and muggy
Match - Steve Martins Summer Series rd 2 (15 fished) - 1st overall

No matches last weekend, although I did attend a 2-day group coaching session on Thursday and Friday at Tunnel Barn with Jordon Holloway, Paul Holland and Kristian Jones. The format was in the morning rotate around the 3 anglers, then fish yourself in the afternoon.

Thursday saw Jordan fishing chopped worm across, Paul the mudline fishing micros/groundbait and Kristian caster shallow in open water. Come the afternoon I wanted to fish caster shallow as I had 4pts with me and it was something I wanted to improve upon as it’s been used a lot recently on Heron at Ivy
House.

Settling on House Pool p14, I initially struggled to get going, not helped by a gusty breeze, however by putting into practise what I had learned I ended up with 94lb of F1s in just over 4hrs, most of which I caught in the last 2hrs. Great fishing.

Friday saw Jordan fish hard pellet, Paul maggot on the short line and Kristian caster shallow towards cover. Come the afternoon I had considered fishing pellet, but it was obvious pellet wasn’t really working and to be honest I didn’t fancy buying 4pts of maggot (the shop didn’t have any casters). Instead, I spent a couple of hours with Paul, which was interesting.

Overall, a good couple of days with some top anglers. Unfortunately, some of the tactics I learnt I will not be able to use at Ivy House (heron lake) due to restrictions on the length of the latch and no overshotted rigs, but still some lessons were learnt.

Today was the 2nd round of Steve’s summer series on Shiplate canals (Hawthorns and West Pool) and I drew p13 on West pool. The plan of action was to fish to tap in meat and micros tight across, see how it goes, then fish caster shallow and then down my margins late.

Starting across I soon stopped feeding micros as the fishing were coming up too easily, instead switching to feeding meat and a few 4s. After 45 minutes I had hooked 5 carp, but only had 1 in the net. I had been really cautious with my feed, but the fish just weren’t settling. Fortunately, I wasn’t the only one struggling in the muggy conditions, with the fish being really moody.

I had 6pts of (vacuum packed) caster with me courtesy of Mark Poppleton who said they needed using before they perished. Since the far line wasn’t fishing as expected, I decided to start priming a shallow caster line. Whilst doing that, I tried a short paste line to my left at the bottom of the near shelf in 4ft of water, that I had fed 4s and micros.

This produced a couple of skimmers and 1 carp, but I still had problems with the fish not settling. Back to the caster and I never had a bite. I fed 2pts to get them going, but no indications which was a surprise and left me wondering what to do next.

The far bank line was still proving frustrating catching another carp on meat, followed by more liners and a couple of foul hookers. A switch to paste across produced 2 more, but it just wasn’t right.

With 3hrs gone I only had 5 carp for 20lb. Fortunately the last 2.5hrs the fish decided to get their heads down. Initially, fishing 8mm meat down the right margin over caster/meat for 6 carp and then down the left margin in the deep water which proved to be really productive in the last hour where I was catching a much better stamp of fish on paste feeding a small handful of 4s and nuggets of micros.

My final weight was a touch more than I thought thanks to those late bigger stamp fish and the win puts me 2
nd in the league now, behind the ever-consistent Tony with 3 rounds remaining.

1.    113-  0 – Ken Rayner – p13 (West Pool)
2.      89-10 – Tony Gilbert – p9 (W)
3.      76-10 – Noddy – p4 (W)
4.      75-13 – Nigel Reeves – p11 (Hawthorns)
5.      72-  4 – Pete Ball – p7 (W)

No comments: