Tuesday, 1 September 2026

29/08/26 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 40lb 10oz (9lb 2oz - silvers)
Catch - 17 Carp, 2 F1s, 21 Skimmers, 3 Roach
Weather - Rained most of the day, breezy at times.
Match - Open (6 fished) - 4th overall

There are some days when you wish you hadn’t bothered and today was definitely one of those.

I had decided earlier in the week to fish Saturday and Sunday, staying at home Bank Holiday Monday. By Thursday, the weather forecast was for rain and after a few dropouts there were only 6 booked into the match. I had thought about staying at home Saturday and fishing Monday instead, but in the end I decided to stick with my original plan.

As there were only the 6 of us, we were all on the cafĂ© bank and I fancied a draw at either end. Well, I drew p4, smack in the middle and to be honest I didn’t fancy it, as I felt the fish would just back off to the far bank.

As for the rain it never stopped all match, just as you thought it was going to stop it would re-start heavier than before.

Since there were only the 6 of us, I decided to keep it simple and focus on the pole and not bother with the feeder. Besides the ‘teabag’ boys were on pegs 1 & 2 and hoped I would have the pole line to myself.

Plumbing up on revealed 2ft of water, with 2.5ft at 5m and only a foot in the margins, thanks to the water levels being down nearly 2ft.

I started at 14m, tapping in fishery 4s boosted with So Simple Sludge and a 4mm in the band. I soon caught a small carp, but it was slow going. A switch to kriller paste produced another small carp, but I struggled to get another, as I was getting little knocks and the culprits soon revealed themselves when I netted a small skimmer.

A switch to fishing a 4mm expander, produced more smaller skimmers and another small carp, but I wasn’t going anywhere quickly, falling further behind pegs 1 and 2. I was really wishing I had stayed at home.

I fed micros and corn down my left margin. I soon noticed a swirl over the feed and tried double corn and the float shot under striking into thin, however I suspected small fish. A switch to paste resulted in a skimmer, confirming my suspicions.

Trying a different swim at 14m didn’t improve matters, so I decided to concentrate fishing a 5m line feeding 4s and my margin, hoping some of the proper units would turn up late in the match.

The margins didn’t produce anything other than a couple more skimmers and towards the end of the match I filled it in with micros, 4s and corn, which just encouraged even more silvers into the peg, but sadly no carp.

My short line produced a few carp and skimmers on 6mm pellet, but I lost a couple of foul hookers. A switch to paste helped, catching a few better stamp carp and skimmers, however it was all too slow.

Generally, the lake didn’t fish as well as it has recently. I just think the bulk of the fish moved to the other side of the lake.

1.    104-  2 – Mitch Rowland – p8
2.      79-  4 – Richard Rogers – p2
3.      72-  0 – Allan Smith – p1

No comments: