Catch - 10 Carp, 1 Skimmer, 1 Roach, 1 Perch
Weather - Warm & sunny. Breezy later.
Match - Tackle Den (14 fished) - 4th overall
To be honest I haven’t enjoyed my matches at this venue and
its probably not helped by the fact I’ve yet to draw a decent peg.
Unfortunately, that theme continued as I ended up on p16, a
peg I drew back in April and looking at recent results for the last 6 weeks it
hasn’t featured, so I wasn’t overly optimistic.
I wasn’t sure whether to use meat or paste and was told both
were still working and had both on the side tray, along with dead maggot just
in case.
I knew the first half of the match would be tricky and then
it was a case of hoping for a few fish late on. With this in mind I decided to
just focus on 1 swim towards the corner of the island in nearly 3ft of water at
start, fishing meat or expander over micros and 4s. Other than a couple of
liners, I didn’t have a bite.
On the hour mark I caught my first carp on the straight lead
and a so simple red 8mm pellet tight to the corner of the island.
90mins later I hooked my next carp on dead maggot fishing
tight to the far bank but lost the fish as it buried itself in the reeds.
Other than Steve Venn on p11 I saw very little being caught
and just hoped a few fish would turn up down the margins. Also, at the halfway
point of the match the wind started to pick up making it increasingly difficult
to fish across to the island and it was an easy decision to start focusing over
my short lines.
I had been feeding kriller 4mm pellet and micros down the
right margin, dead maggot and micros down the left and 8mm meat at 2+2 at angle
to my right.
With an hour and 40mins remaining I caught my 2nd
carp on kriller paste down the right margin, followed by a couple more.
To rest the swim, I tried my meat line and soon caught
another carp, but the wind was causing the lake to tow and to be honest I
wasn’t happy with my presentation, so I decided to dump micros and 4s at 2+2 to
my left to paste later.
The left margin which was shallower than the right was a
bust. I tried fishing dead maggot and paste, but other than one lost foul
hooker I only caught a couple silvers.
Therefore, the last hour was spent mostly down the right
margin and the short paste line to have a strong finish to the match. It was just
a shame there wasn’t a little bit more action early on.
In the end I was pleased to have weighed 57lb and to come 4th
from the peg.
2.
67- 2 –
Cliff Dutton – p21
3.
66-15 – Steve Venn – p11
4.
57- 6 –
Ken Rayner – p16
5.
45- 5 –
Dave Keen – p7
No comments:
Post a Comment