Tuesday, 29 September 2026

27/09/26 - Harescombe - Match

Weight - 46lb 7oz
Catch - 11 Carp, 5 F1, 2 Skimmers, 2 Roach, 2 Rudd
Weather - Cloudy, breezy and showery
Match - Open (9 fished) - Last!

The last day of my holiday (or should that be 2 weeks off work, as it hasn’t felt like a holiday) and I decided to return to Harescombe. 

On Friday I fished my club water and caught this PB Carp of 20lb 12oz on Kriller paste.
 
Back to today and peg 19 would be my home and the wind was blowing right to left which proved to be tricky at times.
 
I decided on a simple approach of pellet and corn, with maggot and worm as a back up, leaving my paste rigs at home.
 
On the all in I started across by the island on corn, tapping in a baninion 4mm pellet. With no bites a switch to a 4mm expander resulted in my first fish after 20min. After an hour I was up to 2 fish and not concerned by the slow start, however I had a horrible 2hrs, losing 3 fish and not putting any in the net.
 
I really couldn’t understand why I wasn’t catching, as everyone around me were!
 
To make something happened I started feeding heavily with maggot, but small silvers were proving a pain and soon reverted back to feeding pellet.
 
Eventually I started to catch on hair rigged 4mm pellet, towards the p18 platform where I had been feeding 4s. When this slowed, I had another run of fish back towards the island where I had been pinging pellet, fishing a 6mm pellet.
 
I had kept feeding pellet at 5m and down the right margin, but struggled for a bite.
 
My last action was feeding Cocosquid groundbait with micros in the shallow left hand margin fishing worm over the top. In fact I wish I had tried it sooner, although my poor start meant I was unlikely to challenge the frame.
 
A strange day and the first time I have come plum last at Harescombe.
 
1.    175-10 – Chris Cameron – p1
2.      87-  2 – Mark Thorne – p16
3.      81-10 – Phil Stone – p24
 
 

No comments: