Tuesday, 29 September 2026

20/09/26 - Witherington Farm - Cottage

Weight - 90lb 7oz
Catch - 15 Carp
Weather - Warm & sunny
Match - Tackle Den (21 anglers) - 4th section, 6th overall

I wasn’t due to fish this match, as I was supposed to be on a cruise ship sailing around the fjords of Norway. However, on the day we were due to travel I went down with covid and was feeling very unwell. Gutted was an understatement, but hopefully we should get most of our money back through the insurance.

Today we had 21 anglers, with 11 on Selwood and 10 on Cottage, which left few spare pegs and a tricky day ahead.

I drew p9 on Cottage and reasonably happy, as I had an island chuck and plenty of space to my left and John Brady to my right on p10.

Plumbing around revealed 18in at 13m, 32in at 6m and 33in at 10m by the reeds to my left. Tight to the bank only revealed 12ins, before it quickly dropped off to 33in.

Starting on the method to the island didn’t produce and after 30mins switched to fishing So Simple Kriller paste over dampened kriller 4s by the reeds to my left.

This produced 2 carp within 15mins, catching a 3rd soon after on the straight lead and 8mm red pellet by the island where I had
been pinging 8s.

The following 2hrs proved to be difficult, as I couldn’t add to my total. I kept pinging pellet to the island and surprisingly I couldn’t catch on the tip. I also tried fishing at 13m, but in the shallow water it didn’t feel right and liners were a problem. I did hook 2 fish at 6m, losing both, 1 was foul hooked and the other found a snag.

In the meantime, the anglers on the other side of the lake were all ahead of me, probably helped by the wind blowing towards that end. Fishing meat or expander proved unsuccessful and ultimately decided to stick with fishing paste.

Eventually I caught a carp at 6m and another at 8m to my left. A brief look fishing tight to the bank with paste or worm didn’t feel right as it was just too shallow for the fish to settle and didn’t waste too much time trying to make it work.

I kept picking up the odd fish from the 6m line and switched back to the 10m line by the reeds.

Moving into the last hour the reed swim was slow and decided to dump a ½ cup of 4s and micros, and in the last 30mins manged 5 more carp, feeding a ½ cup of feed after every fish.

On the all out I thought Andy Burns would win from corner next to the aerator, which he did. Steve Broadhurst opposite on p3 was admitting to 15 carp (although he wasn’t sure) and Vince Grillo on p4 had 11 carp (that included 3 10lb+ fish).

As it turned out, I finished on the wrong side of a very close result, but I was still pleased with my performance at my end of the lake.

1.    143-10 – Matt Greaves – p16 (Selwood)
2.    110-14 – Cliff Dutton – p6 (Selwood)
3.    110-15 – Andy Burns – p15 (Cottage)
4.      96-  5 – Steve Broadhurst – p3 (Cottage)
5.      91-  5 – Vince Grillo – p4 (Cottage)
6.      90-  7 – Ken Rayner – p9 (Cottage)

No comments: