Wednesday, 29 July 2026

25/07/26 - Harescombe - Match Lake

Weight - 121lb 6oz
Catch - 27 Carp, 14 F1, 4 Skimmers
Weather - Warm & sunny
Match - Summer Series rd4 (12 fished) - 2nd in section, 3rd overall

The 4th round of the Summer Series and I really needed a good draw and result to put me back in the running for the league.

P6 was not what was required and felt p1 and p14 would be tough to beat.

I decided against taking meat and brought caster to fish shallow instead. I still mixed up some So Simple Kriller paste and started tight to the island but couldn’t get a clean bite so didn’t waste too much time making it work.

A switch to fishing 6mm baninion pellet over 4mm pellet at 2+2 to my left at the bottom of the shelf resulted in my first fish. Over the first hour I picked up the occasional fish mostly on pellet from the left-hand swim or down the right margin.

In the meantime, I had been prepping a shallow caster line and when I went over this line I couldn’t catch, giving up after 15mins, not least because the wind was proving to be a pain.

This meant, the 2nd hour was slow and I felt I was overcomplicating things. So, I just focused on fishing pellet, returning to my right- and left-hand swims. The left-hand swim proved to be the best, whilst the right margin didn’t feel right so I switched to fishing at the bottom of the marginal shelf which proved to be much better.

With 2 hours remaining I moved to my margins over 3 swims (pinging 4s to the p5 pallet, down the left side of my keepnets and the right margin where I fed micros, hemp and 4s) fishing paste.

With 45mins remaining the swims closest to me just dried up. Fortunately, I could still catch by the p5 pallet and the occasional fish over the left-hand pellet swim. Since the margins had stopped, I decided to start a new swim at 2+2 feeding micros and 4s, resulting in a final good run.

Unfortunately for me Andy Jane won my section breaking the lake match record by 4oz, catching mostly on caster. I at least finished 2nd in section weighing a PB for this lake.

1.   
170-11 – Andy Jane – p13
2.    152-  3 – Steve Brown – p18
3.    121-  6 – Ken  Rayner – p6
4.    114-  7 – Steve Partington – p15













No comments: