Wednesday, 29 July 2026

23/07/26 - Harescombe - Match Lake

Weight - 75lb 7oz
Catch - 21 Carp, 11 F1, 1 Roach
Weather - Warm & sunny
Match - Open (14 fished) - 8th overall

I fished todays open in preparation for next Saturdays Summer League and the lake has been fishing well with a new match of 170lb 7oz had been set a couple of days ago.

I drew p25 and to be honest I wasn’t happy as you are pegged next to the end bank, which would reduce my options. I would have preferred to have been on p24, however the platform was a bit wobbly (Gary has since repaired it).

So far fishing paste has been a bit hit and miss, and not as productive as last year. The same applied to fishing meat, but I was sure with the lake now fishing so well these baits would come into their own. Just in case they didn’t I set up a couple of pellet rigs as back up.

On the all-in I started on So Simple Kriller paste down the left margin, but only had knocks from small fish, in fact the tiny roach were a right pain at times.

I eventually caught a carp after 30mins on meat against the end bank but couldn’t catch another.

2 hours into the match I had 3 fish in the net and I really wondered what was going on.

I had been pinging 4mm baninion pellet towards p24, and when I switched fishing a 6mm baninion I at last started to catch. When the swim needed a rest, I caught a couple of fish fishing to the far bank corner with paste (I couldn’t fish a pellet rig due to scum blowing into the swim).

Going into the last hour I had been feeding micros and 4s either side on a top kit +1 and had a really good late run all on paste.

Sadly, the poor start cost me as I was only 9lb off claiming the section.

1.    139-  5 – Mick O’Brien – p10
2.    132-  8 – Ian Sutton – p15
3.      89-  3 – Martin Hook – p14
4.      87-  7 – Phil Auger – p8
5.      84-12 – Gary Townsend – p22

No comments: