Friday 21 June 2024

20/06/24 - Ivy House - Heron

Weight - 230lb 11oz
Catch - 146 Carp, 34 F1s
Weather - Warm & sunny
Match - Open (5 fished) - 2nd overall

As I had a load of spare (vac packed) caster due to over ordering I decided to book into the open at Ivy House on Heron Lake hoping for a day’s shallow caster fishing.

There were only 5 booked fishing, although I was told 10 had booked in. At least we had plenty of space and I drew p4.

I started on paste (top kit plus 1), whilst I primed my shallow line and after 30mins had 14 fish, however except for 2 decent size carp the fish were 12oz or less. In that time everyone else was catching F1s shallow.

A switch to shallow and I caught F1s, but after an hour the F1s were replaced by small carp despite trying different depths.

To give the line a rest I tried the right margin on a top kit with Uzit GLM paste and started to catch some better sized carp, but still had the odd tiny one. I fed caster down my left margin and caught, but the average stamp was on the smaller side.

I must admit I lost my way a little mid-match trying to keep the margins and shallow lines going. Every time I returned to the shallow line, I would get a couple of F1s, before the small carp returned, as it became obvious the F1s wouldn’t settle in the bright flat conditions.

With 2hrs remaining I binned the shallow line to concentrate on the 2 margins, converting the left margin from caster to paste. The move worked as I had a strong end to the match.

Dave won the match, as he managed to catch more F1s shallow and then had a good run-on pellet down his margin. I had more fish, but just too many small fish.

1.    254-  0 – Dave Willmott – p2
2.    230-11 – Ken Rayner – p4
3.    191-  4 – Tim Hadland – p8 

No comments: