Sunday 9 June 2024

06/06/24 - Harescombe - Match Lake

Weight - 44lb 1oz
Catch - 16 F1s, 9 Carp, 6 Perch, 2 Roach, 1 Skimmer
Weather - Sunny with cloudy periods
Match - Open (14 fished) - 3rd overall

As the Summer Series is due to start on Saturday, I decided to book into Thursdays affordable open. The match lake has only been re-opened for a couple of weeks to allow the restocked fish, mostly F1s time to settle and it would be a case of trying to work out what works.

Recent results suggested the far bank would be the place to draw so I was a little disappointed with p4, however today was about trying a few things to see what worked, focussing on caster shallow.

On the all-in I started at 2+2 fishing paste whilst priming my caster line. After an hour I had 8 F1s up to 2lb+, which was a good start, and it was time to try the shallow caster line but all I caught were perch and roach. I kept going hoping the F1s/carp would switch on but they didn’t and I probably spent too much time making it work.

As the shallow line was a bust, I switched to tapping in 4mm p-nut pellet with 4mm in the band, fishing tight to the far bank, which produced a couple of F1s before the swim faded.

Next, I started feeding caster and corn via a toss pot with corn on the hook at the bottom of the far shelf and had a decent run of carp, which pulled me ahead of the anglers around me.

The last 90mins, however was frustrating as I caught very little. I thought I would catch down the margins and in hindsight I think I may have overcooked it.

In the end I was pleased to finish 3rd overall, although I felt I could have won had I done better from the margins.

1.   
51-  0 – Kev Parry – p12
2.    48-14 – Andy Jane – p16
3.    44-  1 – Ken Rayner – p4
4.    39-  3 – Phil Auger – p23

No comments: