Tuesday 18 June 2024

16/06/24 - Harescombe - Doughnut Lake

Weight - 32lb 10oz
Catch - 17 Carp
Weather - Warm and sunny. Breezy at times.
Match - Open (12 fished) - 10th overall

A first trip to the Donut Lake, which was formally a silvers lake. As the name suggests the lake is in the rough shape of a donut being 14-16m wide, around a central island. Plumbing up was interesting, as there was no margin or shelfs, as the bank slopped away to around 8ft deep. As for the far bank, that plumbed up a little all over the place. I think the general feeling was that whoever dug the lake was drunk at the time.

However, since Gary has taken over the fishery, the lake has been restocked with carp averaging 1.5lb where 70-80lb has been needed to win and further improvements are planned.

P10 was my home for the day and based on the couple of matches held so far I didn’t get the feeling it was a particularly good area and when I got to my peg I had no cover along the far bank, and it was the full 16m wide.

I had been told pellet was the way to go and being new fish reared on pellet that made sense. As such I decided to focus on 6mm expander, feeding 4s and micros.

I had the majority of my fish in the first half of the match, catching my 1 and only fish short, with everything else caught at 16m from the far bank. The second half was more of a struggle not helped by a side wind making presentation difficult. I did try fishing the method across and I came back onto the short line which I had kept topped up with pellet without success. I even gave caster shallow a go, but just couldn’t get a bite anywhere.

In the last hour when the wind dropped a little, I caught a couple more fish from the far bank but it was all a little too late.

In hindsight, I didn’t make the most of the peg. I should have probably switched to fishing hard pellet and/or set up a rig to fish in the deeper water, although in reality I didn’t feel there were many fish in the area.

I look forward to returning, hopefully on a few fish.

1.    86-  9 – Allan Oram – p26
2.    71-  3 – Mick O’Brien – p6
3.    67-  5 – Elvis – p19
4.    65-12 – Adrian Hill – p2

No comments: