Sunday 9 June 2024

08/06/24 - Harescombe - Match Lake

Weight - 59lb 3oz
Catch - 23 Carp, 9 F1s, 1 Skimmer
Weather - Sunny, with cloudy periods and breezy.
Match - Summer Series rd1 (14 fished) - 2nd in section, 3rd overall

The 1st round of Harescombe Summer series, with the best 6 matches out of 8 counting. After Thursday’s match I had a fair idea how I wanted to approach the match and decided to bring some meat just in case.

I was happy to draw p14 and started on Uzit GLM paste at 2+2, however this wasn't as good as Thursday, catching only 5 fish after 45mins.

Switching to the primed shallow caster line only produced 1 F1, so I didn't waste too much time on that, although the breeze was swirling around making it hard to accurately feed. Next, I tried toss potting caster and corn with corn on the hook which worked well on Thursday, but not today, adding only a handful of fish.

With 3hrs remaining of the 5.5hrs I was struggling and falling behind those around me. I decided to ditch the caster and switched to toss potting 6mm meat covered in Uzit A-krill cloud and a few p-nut micros along the far bank. It was like flicking a switch, by rotating left and right I started catching mostly carp, wishing I had done this sooner.

With an hour remaining I needed to rest the far bank swims and tried my margins which I had also fed with meat and micros but didn’t have a bite, which was frustrating as I saw Steve Brown on p10 catching down his. I also fed meat at 2+2 and caught a couple more carp, but not quickly enough. The rest had helped the far bank swims as I had another run of fish, although the wind was becoming troublesome.

With 2mins remaining after netting another carp, I decided to try the short meat line and hooked another carp just before the whistle to finish the match strongly, but ruing not getting right to start with.

I was happy to finish 2nd in section behind Ian Didcote who was subbing for Mark Saunders and a good start to what should be a competitive league.

1.   
76-13 – Andy Jane – p22
2.    75-  0 – Ian Didcote – p4
3.    59-  3 – Ken Rayner – p14
4.    53-  0 – Steve Brown – p10

No comments: