Monday 27 September 2021

26/09/21 - Todber Manor - Ash

Weight - 266lb 6oz
Catch - 91 Carp
Weather - Sunny with cloudy periods and breezy
Match - Wiltshire Angling Open (13 fished)

I haven’t been to Todber for a while and to be honest the fishing has been crazy there, with some anglers taking a gallon of maggot and/or fishing pole rigs without floats, to catch 4,5,600lb. It’s not a criticism of those who fish this way, but I just don’t enjoy fishing that way and it has just been a fish race.

However, it is starting to slow down as we enter autumn and I decided to fish the Wiltshire Angling open on Ash Lake. With 13 anglers there was only 1 spare peg, so when I drew p65 to find p64 was the spare peg, it’s fair to say I was happy, although there was a reason why p64 was left out.

On the all-in I started at 2+2 line, fishing 6mm kriller pellet over 4s. Initially, I was getting a few foul hookers, but by toss potting the pellet this seemed to concentrate the fish and I started catching properly. After an hour I was up to 10 carp, but then pinged out of a carp trashing my rig.

A switch to a large method cast to the far bank with a mix of blue ice & kriller RTGs and a 6mm pellet in the band and I ended catching quicker than on the pole, but the fish were a smaller stamp. After 45mins the feeder swim was slowing and I had sorted out my pellet rig.

I had kept the pellet line topped up and when I returned had another run of fish.

In the meantime, I had been feeding micros about 1.5m off the left margin where it was about 18in deep. Switching to fishing to paste (blue ice kriller), I got plenty of indications, but struggled to get a proper bite. Thinking that the micros were just sending the carp into too much of a frenzy, I switched to feeding 4mm pellet flavoured with sludge and never looked back for the next couple of hours.

With 90mins remaining, the margin was fading a little and switched to the 2+1 line where I had been feeding 8mm meat and hemp, which produced a few better carp, before returning back to the margins.

I was pleasantly surprised to finish 2nd, probably helped by the spare peg.

1. 295-14 – Mark Poppleton – p62
2. 266- 6 – Ken Rayner – p65
3. 234-10 – Roland Lucas – p74
4. 186-  4 – Steve Gardiner – p67
5. 184- 0 – Ian Stainer – p72

No comments: