Monday 27 September 2021

24/09/21 - Tunnel Barn Farm - Club Pool

Weight - 46lb 9oz
Catch - 29 F1s, 7 Perch, 2 Roach, 1 Goldfish, 1 Skimmer
Weather - Mostly sunny, becoming breezy.
Match - Match Fishing Subscriber

Decided to fish the Match Fishing magazine annual subscriber match at Tunnel Barn, as I have never fished the place before and I fancied giving it go. I got some information which revolved around fishery pellet and white maggot, which was reconfirmed when I got to the venue.

After a decent breakfast at the venues cafĂ© with Martin Pettifer it was time for the draw, which put me on Club 13. Must say I fancied it for a few, being an end peg and no-one opposite, and I was informed there was plenty of F1’s and decent carp in the pool, but that could be said of most of the lakes.

Started off along the end bank on paste hoping for a quick carp, but nothing happened after 10mins and switched to fishing the bottom of the far shelf tapping in some 4s, fishing an expander. I was soon catching  a few F1’s, before coming shallow on maggot,


mostly on the jigga rig or fishing at 18in on a fixed rig. However, it was hard work keeping the fish coming, simply pinging maggot wasn’t enough, as I also had to toss pot the maggot in to get a bite, but the fish were quickly backing off. Therefore, I needed a backup line, which was down the end bank, where I had been feeding maggot but only caught perch or small F1’s, which wasn’t ideal as I was hoping for a few carp.

I ended up rotating lines to keep the fish coming, but at I was at least catching and from what I could see doing ok.

Unfortunately, come the halfway point of the match the wheels started falling off. I tried a new line at 13m next to the reeds, just feeding a small ball of micros fishing expander over the top and although I had to wait a little longer for bites I was catching some decent F1’s, however the scum was starting to build up in my swim and it was becoming increasingly difficult to get a rig through.

I did manage a few more F1’s shallow, in between fishing tight to the island on pellet, but just couldn’t line them up properly. The end bank was to be my banker for the last 2 hours, hoping to catch some decent F1’s and carp to build a decent weight, but I just couldn’t.

I think 82lb won my lake and I was left a little disappointed to only weigh 46lb, particularly as I struggled to fish in the last 2 hrs. In hindsight the only thing I should have done is set up a rig to fish down the track, as I noticed a few anglers catching some better carp over this line, but I had fully expected to catch down that end bank.

Anyway, it was enjoyable to try somewhere different and I look forward to giving it another go.

No comments: