Monday 20 September 2021

18/09/21 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 143lb 14oz
Catch - 37 Carp, 9 Skimmers, 2 Roach
Weather - Bright sunny start, cloudy but muggy later
Match - Open (18 fished)

Following a week away in Corfu (and Covid testing!) I was looking forward to getting back to Ivy House and drew p5 on the Old Match Lake. Looking at past results it hasn’t featured that often in the overalls, but with a spare peg either side I was hopeful.
 
Based on my last couple of visits I decided to start off cautiously, feeling my way into the match rather than getting all gung-ho with the feed. Starting at 16m with a kriller 6mm in the band, tapping in a few fishery 4mm’s covered in sludge I had 4 small carp and a couple of skimmers in the first 30mins.
 
When this line died, I had intended on starting a new swim to my right but noticed a few carp milling around the island, so cast a small method loaded with micros and a little groundbait (kriller & blue ice) and either a yellow or orange 6mm gofter. I ended up staying on this for 90mins catching mostly small carp, plus the occasional better one up to 4lb. It was noticeable that I had to continually alter the groundbait/micro ratios. Whenever it went quiet more groundbait would bring in the fish, but I got a quicker bite with more micros when they were in the swim.
 
Mid match was a little quiet, trying new pole lines and had a good run of small carp and a few skimmers at 11m on corn. Although I was catching well, I felt I needed some of the bigger carp to frame and with 90mins remaining decided to come off the 11m line to try the margins.
 
I had already started feeding 6s down the right margin under the tree at 10m and micros & 4s down the left. The right margin produced 3 carp on 8mm pellet, whilst the left margin produced 9 carp on paste (kriller & blue ice) to add about 85-90lb.
 
An enjoyable match and was pleased to have narrowly won. Also pleased to be using Andy’s bait which I have a great deal of confidence in, particularly like a bit of paste fishing. 


No comments: