Saturday 25 September 2021

19/09/21 - Sedges - Tile Lake

Weight - 45lb 3oz (11lb 12oz - silvers)
Catch - 5 Carp, 6 Skimmers
Weather - Warm, sunny start. Became cloudier and windier
Match - Haines Series (14 fished)

The final round of the Haines Summer Series and to be honest it has not gone well for me, compared to coming 2nd and 3rd in previous years. And this match really reflected how my league has gone.

I haven’t been to Sedges for 2 years, but had a clear plan of attack in mind. i.e. a feeder to the island, waggler to fish shallow ¾ of the way across with 8mm pellet, 2+1 meat line and finally the margins. I also set an 11m skimmer line fed with micros & corn just in case it was hard.

Starting on a large method with Kriller & Blue ICE RTG’s, with a yellow 6mm gofter I had 2 carp in the first 45mins.

A switch to the waggler didn’t produce. In fact, I tried the waggler periodically throughout the match without success.

The 11m line fizzed like a jacuzzi, but getting proper bite was difficult and I just had to wait, catching 3 skimmers on worm, but it was far too slow.

The feeder to island was proving frustrating as there was some discarded line attached to the island. Although I had a further 3 carp, I also lost 2, including the feeder that snagged up on that line.

As for my short lines. Initially my meat line didn’t produce anything until I big potted some meat and hemp, which provided 3 decent bream, before I got silly bites from roach, which meant no carp in the area.

Finally, my margins, where I had hoped to catch late never happened. I had been feeding heavily with micros, a few 4s and corn, fishing paste over the top. Other than 1 foul hooked fish I never had any signs of fish which was a surprise, although the wind had picked up and was blowing down the far bank where they were catching down their margins in the ripple.

I finished 3rd in section, missing out on 2nd by 5lb, so those 2 lost carp proved costly. Steve won the section and 2nd overall with 136lb next to me, catching on the method and the waggler fishing 6mm pellet.

Overall finished the league 9th and well done to Steve Martin for winning it again, as well as organising the series.

No comments: