Friday 6 January 2017

31/12/16 - Todber Manor - Ash Lake

Weight - 16lb 8oz
Catch - 7 Carp, 3 Skimmers, 3 Roach, 1 Tench
Weather - Mild
Match - Open - 7th out of 11

Firstly an apology for the lack of blogs recently, its not because I haven't been fishing, but to be honest I've been having a shocking time on the bank and really struggling, which doesn't leave much enthuastism for writing a blog. Also the last month or so has seen quite a bit of uncertainty at work, which hasn't improved my mood and taken up a lot of my spare time.

However, it's a new year and time to put things in perspective. The first 9 months of 2016 was pretty good on the fishing front, managing some decent results, big weights and picking up 70% of the time. The last 2 months, those pick ups have dropped off quite dramatically, ironically since I started fishing for Colmic, although I did manage to finish 4th overall in the Avalon Silverfish League. Cant really pin down why my results have dropped off, certainly there has been a few poor draws, but I think there has also been some poor decision making on my part.

This latest match at Todber is typical of how things are going. Mark Poppleton had organised a knock up on Ash Lake which has been one of the most consistent lakes in the south west recently. I needed to pick up my new pole rollers (which are very nice - see picture) from the shop so decided to book in.

Having only fished Ash twice before, both occasions on end peg 62, when the bulk of the fish were in the middle pegs, I joked with Mark that I was due a draw in middle and couldn't drew 62 for 3rd time. Well I didn't, but 63 wasn't what I wanted and knew I was in for a hard day.

I wont dwell too much on the details. I caught all my carp from the far bank, mostly on the waggler or lead. The pole lines seemed to be devoid of fish with only a few silvers, either on pellet or maggot. Because I knew there probably wouldn't be many fish in the area I felt I needed to make something happen and spent all match pinging 6s at 14m, but it just never happened. The fish I did catch was over micros/4s at an angle to my right. In hindsight I wish I concentrated on the silvers, since Matt on 66 had 16lb of mostly skimmers to pick up the silvers pool. As I said poor decision making.

Hopefully the new year will see an upturn in results, although I probably need to improve my drawing arm.

1st 95- 8 - Nick White - p70
2nd 68- 6 - Ashley Tomkins - p66
3rd 31- 8 - Mark Poppleton - p74
4th 28- 8 - Alex Nadin - p73

Silvers
1st 16- 0 - Matt Skyme - p65
2nd 9-10 - Ashley Tomkins - p66

No comments: