Monday 23 January 2017

22/01/17 - Lands End - Speci

Weight - 43lb 13oz
Catch - 5 Carp, 4 Perch
Weather - Cold, most bright and sunny
Match - Lands End 'So Simple' Winter League - rd 2 - 4th out of 31 overall, 2nd on lake

I was 2 short today, I knew about one in advance, but the other was too hungover. He has subsequently apologised and will be paying their pools.

For this 2nd round, ice breakers were in evidence again, which meant another hard match was likely for most. It was my turn for Speci Lake and was relieved to be handed p34, which usually produces a few fish. My section included Adrian Clark (p25), Roger Crago (p31), Joe McMahon (p32) and Mike West (p33), so all the better pegs on the lake.

Fortunately the left hand side of my peg was ice free and the ice that was in front of me was quite thin and would soon melt away. Plumbing up revealed it was a little deeper off the point of the island, the problem however was the light and reflections, which meant spotting my float was a nightmare, made worse by the sun being directly on front.

On the all in I decided to fish the lead and double corn off the point of the island, because it was easier than struggling to see my float. Mike West was still potting out bait when the tip went round and a 5lber was netted. Well that was the blank saved. Next cast the tip went round again and this time it felt like a much better fish. At 15lb 1oz it was very welcome and the pressure was now off with 20lb in the net after 15mins.

Staying on the tip for a further hour didn't produce any bites. By this time the ice that was in front of me had mostly disappeared, so fed 2 spots at the bottom of the far shelf with a pinch of micros in front and groundbait and micros to my right. It was the swim to my right that produced all my perch and a carp to single maggot.

Fishing on top of the shelf didn't produce anything, not even a liner. With the sun moving round I tried fishing off the end of the island, but discovered I couldn't get in too tight due to some line and snags. Fishing a little off the island I managed a carp on corn, but it was more luck than judgement because spotting the float was still very difficult.

After a slow start, Joe on p32 had picked up fish along the end bank as well as losing a few and it looked likely he was going to win the lake. With half an hour to go I couldn't get a bite anywhere, so finished the match on the tip and corn again. Fortunately I managed an 8-9lber with 10mins remaining .

1. 151-12 - Craig Edmunds (Mosella) - p13
2. 65- 6 - Nick Chedzoy (Preston) - p15
3. 52- 4 - Joe McMahon (Bristol) - p32
4. 43-13 - Ken Rayner (Colmic) - p34
5. 35-14 - Mike West (Bridgwater) - p33
6. 25- 7 - Stuart Barnett (Bristol) - p41
Silvers
1. 14- 4 - Martin Rayet (Bristol) - p5
2. 8- 2 - Rich Lovering (Bristol) - p42
3. 6- 0 - Rod Wootten (Bristol) - p1
4. 5- 9 - Stuart Barnett (Bristol) - p41
5. 4- 8 - Mike Duckett (Lands End) - p55 
6. 3- 5 - Adrian Clark (Bristol) - p25





No comments: