Monday 23 January 2017

21/01/17 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight - 9lb 6oz (1lb 15oz - silvers)
Catch - 2 Carp, 4 Perch
Weather - Freezing. Bright & sunny
Match - Open - 5th out of 14 (2nd in silvers)

I have to say on the drive down the temperature gauge in the car read -5c and I was really questioning why I was bothering. However one of Di's breakfast soon cheered me and there were 14 of us, which meant 10 on match and 4 on Johns (no3) lake.

I drew peg 1 which usually holds a few fish and I could also easily break the ice along the end bank. In fact breaking the ice was probably the most exciting part of the day.

On the all I wasn't quite ready so chucked the straight lead and corn out towards the overhanging pipe. 10 minutes later I netted a 5lber. Unfortunately no more followed, I tried down by the right hand tree throughout the match on various baits, but never had a bite.

I spent most of the match, fishing 16-17m down the end bank, feeding a small amount of gonuts black groundbait in the deeper water. Fishing maggot over the top I managed another smaller carp and a couple perch. Fishing tighter to the end bank only produced 1 perch.

A tough day for most and I managed to sneak a pick up for 2nd in silvers. Paddy Curry opposite on p24 managed 1 carp and a couple of small silvers. Allan Oram to my right on p3 had 2 skimmers and a few bits to win the silvers pool. However the majority of the fish appeared to be down the other end of the lake, with Russ Peck winning from p15 and Dave Wescott was 2nd from p13.

It could have been worse, I could have been sat at Todber, where only 10lb was needed to win! Spring cant come quickly enough.

1. 74-15 - Russ Peck (Land End) - p15
2. 31- 4 - Dave Wescott (Lands End) - p13
3. 22- 6 - Rod Wootten (Lands End) - p10
4. 10- 0 - Allan Oram (Dynamite Baits) - p3
5. 9- 6 - Ken Rayner (Colmic) - p1
Silvers
1. 5- 1 - Allan Oram - p3
2. 1-15 - Ken Rayner - p1

No comments: