Monday 16 January 2017

15/01/17 - Viaduct - Lodge

Weight - 50lb 3oz
Catch - 7 Carp
Weather - Mild, but cold during the week. Windy.
Match - Winter League - rd 1 - 3rd out of 19 in section, 15th overall

Today was the first round of the Viaduct Winter League with 19 teams of 5 and Mark had managed to get a Colmic team submitted.

There is always a sense of trepidation at the draw, because with 95 pegs in we all wanted the favoured areas, however there were more than a few poor draws waiting for us, where anglers would only be looking for a couple of fish.

Mark Wynne drew (I cant be trusted at the moment to draw well at the moment) for us today and on the whole it wasn't too bad. Mark put himself on Campbell p128, Calum Craig (Cary - p97), Mark Poppleton (Match - p48), Joe McMahan who was guesting for Martin Preston (Spring - p17) and I had p66 on Lodge.

With wind blowing into this end of the lake the pressure was on, since it was expected there would be a few fish under the trees. Well that's what I hoped. 

Set up 3 rigs to fish under the tree, 1x dobbing bread, 1x for prawn and 1x to fish corn/meat. I also set up a silvers rig to fish 13m over groundbait if needed. As it happened I gave the 13m swim 5mins without a bite and since all the anglers along the pathway bank were struggling for bites I didn't see any point pursuing that swim.

On the all in I started off on the deck with corn by the first post of the pallet (see picture) and soon had a liner. A couple more liners followed but no fish, so switched to bread at 3/4 depth. 10mins later I had my first carp of about 5lb.

No more bites followed for 30mins, so tried the prawn which resulted in another carp, quickly followed by a 3rd. The fourth one took its time arriving but after 2 hours I had 4 carp, which I knew would guarantee good points. Chris Fox opposite me on the monk had yet to have a bite, although he wasn't the only one.

I had also been feeding caster to my right under the bush, but that didn't produce a bite. The only place I could get any indications was under the tree and was now pushing further under the tree.

On the half way mark a switch to corn brought a quick response with my 5th carp. So far I had managed to pull the carp free of their lair so I shouldn't have been surprised when I hooked another carp that some how managed to get in behind p65 pallet and under some sunken roots, claiming my entire rig.

I managed to land 2 more carp on corn and lost another 2, 1 was a decent fish that dived under my keepnets snagging me on the leg of the platform and the hook pulled out of the other as I went to net it. As it happened it wouldn't have made any difference, as Tony Rixon and Nicky Collins in the opposite corner had 94lb & 96lb respectively for the 1, 2 in section, leaving me 3rd in section which I was pleased with.

Chris must have been the most relieved man on the lake. With 4mins to go he had his first bite, netting a 6.5lb carp giving him 9pts.

As a team we did OK, Mark Wynne was 2nd on Campbell, Calum had 14pts from Cary thanks to a 24lber caught on the prawns I gave him, Mark Poppleton had 8pts from a poor draw on Match and Joe struggled for 3pts on Spring.

1st - 154-11 - Colin Dyer (Balti Boys) - p102
2nd - 150- 6 - Tim Clark (Future Networks) - p113
3rd - 111- 9 - Paul Greenwood (M5 Angling) - p77
4th - 96- 0 - Nicky Collins (Somerset Angling) - p53
5th - 94- 2 - Tony Rixon (Future Networks) - p73
6th - 67-12 - Mark Wynne (Colmic SW) - p128

Silvers
1st - 18- 0 - Sam Powell (Preston) - p2
2nd - 17-10 - Des Shipp (Preston) - p103
3rd - 15-13 - Chris Sandford (Amigos) - p24
4th - 13- 3 - Steve Jackson (Balti Boys) - p71
5th - 12-14 - Alex Murray (Somerset Angling) - p25
6th - 12- 1 - Ryan Shipp (Moaning Maggots) - p126

Teams on the day
1st - Future Networks - 76pts
2nd - Garbolino BV - 75pts
3rd - Somerset Angling - 65pts
4th - Thatchers Vets - 61pts
5th - SW Nomads - 60pts
6th - Colmic SW - 59pts

No comments: