Monday 9 January 2017

08/01/17 - Lands End - Johns (no3) Lake

Weight - 31lb 4oz (16lb 12oz - silvers)
Catch - 31 Skimmers, 7 F1s, 1 Roach, 1 Rudd, 2 Carp
Weather - Mild & overcast
Match - Open - 2nd in silvers, 5th overall.

With 15 anglers, we had all of lake 3 and one side of match lake.  I definitely wanted a draw on no.3 lake, because it has been the most consistent lake recently. So was really pleased to see p42 staring back at me. A decent draw, at last.and its usually worth a few fish.

The plan was to look for an early carp and if they didn't show try for some silvers since the peg can throw up some decent silvers weight. The only issue on the silvers front was I had Martin Pettifer next to me on p41, John Bradford opposite on p68 and Rod Wootten on 70, so it was likely we would all be targeting the silvers.

On the all in it was straight out with a bit of corn and soon had an F1. Exploring further around the island for bites didn't produce, so wasn't confident there were many carp in the area.

A switch to 14m in a 5ft deep hole off the point of the island where I fed gonuts black micros and black groundbait produced a small skimmer on maggot. By feeding a tiny nugget of micros binded with the groundbait ever 2nd put in, I started catching skimmers and the occasional F1 on 4mm expander.

When the swim needed resting I tried in front of the island where it was a foot shallower and at 5m just past the weedbed, but neither swim produced anything of any significance. However resting the 14m line proved useful as I would have another run of fish. More importantly I was catching more silvers then everyone. Rod & Martin had an intial good hour or 2, but the fish seemed to have backed off for them. I think because my swim was that much deeper the fish seemed more settled in the clear water. John on the other hand started slowly, but was now catching by the weedbed on caster, including some big perch.

With 2 hours to go my 5m line really hadn't produced anything, so decided to switch to feeding meat just in case. And with an hour to go a full pot of caster, dead maggot and groundbait was dumped down the left hand margin.

My long line was starting to really fade and pushing out to 16m helped, producing a few better sized skimmers. With 30mins left, I snagged up and broke the hook length. Knowing it was unlikely I was going to be caught in the silvers, I tried down the left margin with double caster. A 5lb carp hooked in the tail was my reward, followed by a small roach.

A switch to the 5m line with meat with 5mins left and the float went under and initially throught I had foul hooked another carp as it bolted for the aerator and got caught on the rope. Fortunately it freed itself and a rather angry 8lb carp hooked in the top lip was landed 10mins after the all out.

Pleased and relieved to have finally picked up, winning the silvers on no3 lake.

1st 88- 0 - Adrian Jeffery (Bristol) - p51
2nd 47- 4 - Stuart Barnett (Bristol) - p58
3rd 42-10 - Kev Molton (Bristol) - p55
4th 38- 7 - Tony Rixon (Mosella) - p15
5th 31- 4 - Ken Rayner (Colmic) - p42
6th 28- 6 - Steve Seager (Maver) - p62

Silvers
1st 18- 3 - Tony Rixon - p15
2nd 16-12 - Ken Rayner - p42
3rd 11-10 - Joe McMahan - p21
4th 10- 2 - John Bradford - p68



No comments: